Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ortho Lines

nicola_malagnininicola_malagnini Member Posts: 35 EDU
hello.

i've used Ortho lines some times ago.
now i need to use it but it doesn't works. it's only my problem?
thanks

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    there is no ortho mode like autocad. instead your line will snap to vertical or horizontal when your second point gets close to horizontal or vertical. Similar to how polar tracking works in autocad.

Also if there is a lot of entities (inferences) such as endpoints of other objects, if you get too close to those it will "wake them up" then your line attempts to find a suitable relation for those.

Finally, you should check your sketch plane. horizontal and vertical snaps are relative to the plane's x/y axis

press 'n" on your keyboard while in your sketch to view 'normal to' that should rotate your view normal to the x/y/z 
  • nicola_malagnininicola_malagnini Member Posts: 35 EDU
    hi,

no sorry, i'm speaking about Ortho lines Feature Script
    it's useful for pipes routing
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Yes there was an issue with Ortho Lines throwing support codes but that has now been fixed. Is that what you are seeing?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    ok. but mine doesn't works yet. i select the starting point but the 3 arrows (x,y,z) it doesn't appear
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Thanks for flagging this - it has been identified as a bug in FeatureScript. In the meantime, you can still use the feature as follows:
    • Select starting vertex
    • Press "Add line"
    • Drag manipulator
    • Press "Add line" and set direction
    • Drag manipulator
    Not great I know but at least you can get the job done.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    ok. thanks. done it. any feature script to advise to me for pipes and cables routing?
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Here are some 3D sketching alternatives that may be useful:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/73328#Comment_73328

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎