Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export DXF for Laser Cutting

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
I'm trying to export a part for laser cutting but the exported file is in inches and so is much bigger than it should be. (I'm working in mm)
Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Best Answer

Answers

• GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    P.S. This wasn't happening when I last did this about a month ago
    When the part is exported as a 3d file i.e. Step or STL the dimensions are correct
    I think this is a bug. When I change the workspace units to inches the exported DXF behaves correctly
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Answer ✓
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
    So it seems it depends on the company you're sending the DXFs to as to whether they scale correctly. I have used quite a few different cutters over the years and it is only now that this has been an issue. Many thanks for the help
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Yeah I use Waterjet and lasercut companies for several years. The issue is usually on their end. 

One time around 2005 or so a colleague had designed a custom screw or pin, I forgot exactly what. It was supposed to be about 1 or 2 inches long, and 1/4” or so in diameter. When he got the parts back, they were bigger than his hand. We all had a good laugh. This was from a CNC vendor I believe.