Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to add features onto a sweep?

going_alonggoing_along Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
I want to add a retention clip onto an internal feature, plus a release access hole above it. Both onto the faces of a sweep feature.

Achieving this looks like it needs some form of 3d sketch onto the surfaces of the part - which I don't think is available. Nevertheless adding features, like cut outs etc onto the surfaces of a sweep would, I imagine, be a fairly common need. So how is it done.

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @going_along
    I do not see your mark up. Where is it?
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • going_alonggoing_along Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Just click the comments tab on the left.

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    edited July 2021
    @going_along Could you provide more detail? Is the feature adding to the existing model? Is it a cut? Does it need to conform to the shape of the part or is it planar? Or perhaps a similar example on another part? 
    Specifically I am looking for two things - both as part of the existing "Part 1". It needs a small circular feature, about 3mm in diameter and 1mm high to act as a retaining clip that will latch into the corresponding hole on a separate assembly (not drawn) that slips into the gap in the Part 1 profile. Above the little clip I need an access hole feature that will allow me to press a tool onto the clip and release the assembly. Both are to be 3d printed as integrated additions to Part 1. I recognise that a hole might not technically be an "addition" but it is a feature.

Both features are on opposing walls of Part 1 and there is little in the way of a gap between the walls right now (and I may need this gap to be smaller). Consequently I would prefer both to be conformal but it is not essential right now. Because I am thinking of also cutting a largish logo into just one of the surfaces it would be good to know how to do it conformally.

I had assumed that this sort of need would arise fairly frequently.
    @going_along Thank you for your detailed explanation.  Is there a finished product that has a similar feature that you could share? Something from the internet maybe. 
    I am sure this is not all you want but may give you steps to work with.  See the steps in folder 'ClipsAndHolder''. The workflow is to extrude the perimeter shape as surface, split the target contoured face, and then move, offset, or delete inside the shape for design you want.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1280e4dae0ea778b07dff616/w/23cabd3ac5d0680a3d9cd831/e/c793a59c43ad8d5cb6ea51cc
    www.accuratepattern.com
    edited July 2021

www.accuratepattern.com
    This is what I was thinking. 

bruce_williams is the closest because it recognises that the mating assembly fits into the slot - though I don't follow the construction process as yet. I can see how the outer access hole is created but how the interference button arises is a mystery right now. Anyways the solution can be adapted to do the job.

The solution offered by John_P_Desilets is interesting if it produces conformal shapes but I can't see any workings.

Thank you everyone for your efforts. I was sort of wishing for some form of generic script type solution allowing features to be added to multi-directional curved surfaces because I am sure that must be called for frequently. But maybe not.