Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurable Variable in Part Name

sam_ettinger011sam_ettinger011 Member Posts: 5 PRO
I have a part that uses configuration variables (an extrusion length for 8020) and I would like the part name to update with the variable length in it. Does this feature script exist? I found a feature script for "part number", but haven't found one for "part name". 

Comments

• John_McCormickJohn_McCormick Member Posts: 9
    I don't think that you have to depend on feature-script for this.  In the configuration panel, there is a second tab where you can add a part number (and other variables) to configurations.  This is available for both assemblies and parts.

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    @Evan_Reese created a feature for naming parts. It may be useful for this.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/13832/configure-part-name-feature

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • sam_ettinger011sam_ettinger011 Member Posts: 5 PRO
    @Evan_Reese @MichaelPascoe when I tried clicking his link, I got this error message, "Failed to load document for version. Resource does not exist, or you do not have permission to access it."
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
  • sher1ocksher1ock Member Posts: 2 EDU
    That is exactly what I need, but for some reason it won't work on a sheet metal model. If I select any other part it works fine, but when the sheet metal part is selected, it doesn't actually rename it...
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    A sheet metal part is not a real “part” unless it has been “finished”. Create a Finish sheet metal part feature then try. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @sam_ettinger011

Did you get this working? I too want 8020 lengths in an assembly BOM. I'm not sure feature script will do it since it's stuck in a partstudio. I was hoping for something in an assembly that can interpret various instances in the assembly and tell me a config value based on an instance and then have it show up in the BOM.

• michael_hudzikmichael_hudzik Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I am trying to do exactly what @billy2 mentioned. I've seen some posts about people requesting an "Assembly Script". 

I have an assembly with several... several (>100) configuration combinations. I was hoping to build a smart string for the part number based on the configuration parameters but I am struggling to figure something out. As of right now, for my assembly, the only way I know how to populate all of the part numbers is to hard code them for each configuration. I need to do this because when exporting these assemblies to a PLM (e.g. Duro), I want the PLM to catch that the part already exists and not have someone create a new part number for an existing assembly. 

To me, this is the single most important reason of being able to build a smart string in the part number field of an assembly.

cc: @alan_baljeu