Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Recreating the linked ring in OnShape

charlie_kingslandcharlie_kingsland Member Posts: 10 EDU
Just wondering if it is possible to recreate this ring (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:711970) in OnShape? I know how to get the basic ring shape, just not the low-poly texture/pattern… Any help appreciated!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Here are my attempts: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6d25c7d234b2a3791d2fb4e5/w/d272849b5d0725527f2bafc4/e/ac6c7485ceeb4fbe02236fee

The "Convex Poly" part studio has the simplest feature tree with all the planes and points, and then the "Convex Polyhedron" custom feature that @MichaelPascoe mentioned above. This is computationally heavy, though - that one feature takes ~14 seconds to regenerate. 

The linked ring you are looking at is fairly simple to construct geometrically. It has the same 3 faces mirrored, rotated, and patterned all around the ring. I constructed that in the "Manual Surfaces" part studio. I parametrically defined the edges, then lofted between the edges and points to create a surface. Then I just mirrored, transformed, and patterned it so it creates the geometry you want. It's a bit more work to figure out how to build it and what to pattern, but is computationally much better - only ~0.13 seconds for the whole feature tree.
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador

Answers