Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Novice question: How to create a DXF file for a digital cutting machine?

alec_stewart245alec_stewart245 Member Posts: 4 EDU
edited September 2021 in Community Support
Hello 

I need to create a DXF file that contains a 2D diagram of cutting lines. It is for a digital cutting system to cut up a large sheet of board into physically separate Parts.

What is the correct digital 'architecture' to do this?

Presumably I have to start by creating an OnShape "Document" to contain everything, but do I then 
A. Create Part Studio  OR
B. Create an Assembly  OR
C. Create a Drawing

Note that in the real world my Parts will then be bonded together to form a box.

With thanks

J

Answers

• Options
    BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    You create a part studio. You can model all your parts in a single studio. For each face you want to cut, right click the face and select "Export as DXF/DWG." 

It sounds like you're very new to Onshape. I'd suggest looking at the Learning Center to better understand how Onshape's documents are structured.

A more advanced way to do this is by using the Auto Layout custom feature, but I'd start with understanding the basic architecture first before diving into custom features.
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Here are some tips:
    • Part studio first
    • Inside the part studio, create a sketch

There are a few different ways to get a dxf. 
    • Right click the sketch and select "Export as dxf/dwg"
    • Or, after you have created a part, you can click the "+" button in the bottom left of the screen and create a "drawing" of your part studio. This can also be exported as a dxf/dwg.

A great place to learn Onshape is the Onshape Learning Center

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎