Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New FeatureScript: External Thread (2D + 3D)

sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
edited September 2021 in FeatureScript
I created a public version of my external thread feature!

You can use it to create it to create an external thread on a cylindrical surface.

You can select the "Level of Detail" to change the appearance. I use it to create a configuration of my part where I can switch between 2D and 3D. 
If you use chamfers, you have to enter positive offsets to extend both ends of the thread.

I give no guarantee that all dimensions of the predefined threads are correct  :#
Please send me a message if you found an error.

Here is the feature:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/190ed381cc4d7d3644e4459b/w/69776a82bab11838fe161502/e/d9fb3f464191d0390b8ff49f

Comments

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Tomorrow I'm participating in the German Onshape User Group Meeting: 
    https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-network/german

I will show how to use the feature in a release management environment.

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    Awesome! I really like the option for 2D functionality. 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I really hate non-metric sizes, but there are times I need to use them anyway. I see that you have UNF and UN threads in the menu, but I don't see UNC. For example, there's no 1/4"-20 (UNC), which is a very common size. In my experience, I've never come across UN threaded parts, just UNF and UNC.

You might consider having a menu for /Metric Fine/Metric Course/Inch UNF/Inch UNC/Inch UN/ to make your thread menu shorter. 

@S1mon
    Thanks for the hint, I normally don't use any UNC Threads. I just updated the featureScript with UNC threads  :)

Yes, I also wanted to include a intelligent Dropdown menu.
    But I haven't found a good solution without breaking the rest of the code.
    If you type in UNC you can filter the list.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @sebastian_glanzner

Thanks. At first I thought there was an issue with the UNC configs and thread options because they begin with "N" instead of "#", but perhaps this is so that typing a letter jumps to that part of the menu?

I'm almost wondering if it would be helpful to have a FS which took some reference and created the cylinder and the thread at the same time. It could be a sketched line (indicating the axis of rotation and length, or a mate connector with a length entry in the feature dialog. It seems strange to have to remember the nominal diameter to create the starting cylinder. It's not too hard with a M4 or 1/4"-20, but .... quick, what's the nominal diameter of a #8 screw?!?
    @S1mon
    Thanks for the feedback, I added the # symbol to the small UNC threads. I had used a bad list with UNC threads, it also had some typos in the diameter that I had to correct.

When the feature is open an info box with the nominal outer diameter is shown in the top. You can use that to go back and change the sketch of the cylinder. I also added the diameter in inches:

It is best to select 2D, than the script will not fail if the diameter of cylinder is wrong. Then you can read the info box.
    What do you think?