Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

how to align holes in an assembly

rick_conardrick_conard Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I have a question about how to model holes in one part so that they line up with holes in another part in an assembly. 
Reading on other posts,  it seems you have to do this with "edit in context."   OK,  so I try this,  but I do not see any way to reference the hole locations from a part in the assembly to the part being edited "in context"    When editing part,  the assembly parts (hole locations)  are not available for reference in the part being edited.

Please advise what I am missing here.   My model is   https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fc7eab2ad68e2d45faa99baf/w/29125e25d62369e91547b778/e/46672e754453f8987c0291b3?renderMode=0&uiState=615cf2250364934bae46ac2d

trying to put a matching hole pattern in "pvc configurable"      I don't want to put the holes in the part studio because this is a standard part (a linked document).     I guess I could use a derived part and put both parts in one part studio,  however that seems like it would mean you have to build the entire assembly in the "part studio" to get all the holes in the right place.

In Solidworks, I could use the hole locations from one part to locate the hole sketch points in another part.

thank  you

Answers