Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

drawing from another branch brings revisions with it

jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
edited October 2021 in Community Support
When I create a branch from a branch with revised drawings, The revision levels tag along with the drawing.  My intent is to modify the part totally and give it a new part number - starting with Revision "A".  Is there a way to roll back the revisions on the new drawing?  If I delete the existing drawing from the new branch when I create a new drawing of the same part, the revisions follow.  When I create a second (new drawing name) drawing of the same part, the revisions follow.  (I cannot have 2 drawings that use the same part??)

(Edit - Never Mind - I somehow have created revision levels in this branch.  I will have to go figure out how that happened or how I can undo it. 

I have the same concern though - why can I not have 2 drawings of the same part and start with a new revision?  it is the drawing revision after all.

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    The revision level should go back to your starting default level when you change the part number. 

Onshape makes it so that you can't have the same PN+Revision combination released in two different places. So, if you create a branch, but don't change the part number, onshape won't let you re-use the revision level. When you change the part number, you can then release it at whatever level you want. 

Also, keep in mind that both Parts and Drawings have their own part number properties. In your company settings, there is a way to allow both the drawing and part to share a Part Number (I'm not sure if this is turned on for your company or not). So, you can definitely have more than one drawing for the same part, but your drawings will need to have unique part numbers. 

• jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    I have found what is happening here and just put in a help ticket for it.  

When I change the name of the drawing from the default name to the part number (yes, I have it set so parts and drawings can use the same number), the revision block is automatically showing that the revision has changed.  This happens without actually releasing the drawing.  Simply changing the name of the drawing in the properties will show a revision change in the revision block.

This sounds like a bug to me.  It has been introduced recently because I have used the revision block successfully for a while now.  This is a new behavior.
    If I understand your situation correctly, it seems like the intended behavior to me. My understanding is that you created a drawing and released it. Then, created a branch and renamed the drawing in the new branch. From Onshape's perspective, the content of the drawing has changed and the drawing is no longer identical to the released version. As such, it is a new revision. 
  • jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    Thank you for looking into that.  You are 100% correct - I had released it in another branch.  My take-away is to do all of my releases in the Main Workspace.

However, in the back of my mind I keep thinking that when I start a new branch, I am starting a new history.  When I merge a branch to main, I would want to take only the history of that branch to Main.  The way Onshape works now, it looks like I am potentially taking Release history from several branches.

Do releases from Main - Got it...
    The release history is actually tied to a part number (not branches or documents). So, lets say release a part number 1234 at Rev A, then create a completely new document and design a completely new part. If you assign part number 1234 to the new part and try to release it, onshape will see PN1234 has already been released at "A" and will bump the revision to "B".