Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Welcome to Onshape Drawings Alpha Release

bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
Welcome to the early users of Onshape Drawings!  We're excited to ship the Alpha Release today and look forward to your comments. Please let us know what you like and don't like, questions you have, etc.  As with other areas of Onshape, we will improve Drawings continuously and value your feedback.  Thanks for participating in the Alpha Release.
Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

Tagged:

Comments

• david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    I noted that when I create a drawing that it defaults to the 3 standard views and a iso view. In another program I use for creating drawings from 3D parts it lets me choose what views I want included.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    @david_sohlstrom - Yes, currently all of our drawings templates have 4 views. However, you can select and delete a view and create new views if you want.  So I believe you can get the drawing you want.  If there's a workflow you want for creating a drawing, please let us know.

@david_sohlstrom - If you want to create a drawing with zero views, you can also click on the "+" menu in the document tabs and choose "Create Drawing" there.  You still need to choose a template and that template has 4 views, but because you haven't chosen a part or assembly, no views are created in the drawing.  So you end up with an empty drawing.

It just saves some steps if you can select the views you want in your drawing from the get go and not have to delete  or delete and add views.
    I also note that the views are not locked together so if you move a view the others do not move with it.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    David, did you mean that you want to configure which views are automatically created, or that you want 0 views automatically created, so you can insert them by hand?   If the latter, Bob has just answered how to do that.  If the former, I'd like to hear more about what controls/settings you would want in the configuration. 

@david_sohlstrom - The views are aligned / locked together to some extent.  If you move the front view, the top and side views will move to stayed aligned.  The iso view is not locked.  You can break alignment by right mouse button'ing on a view and choosing "Break alignment".

Bob
    I noted that if I select 1 view it moves independent of the others. If I select 2 they move together. If I select 3 they all move together. This will work. I will just have to remember to make selections for the views I want to move on the page.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    @jon_mcintyre  In another 3D CAD program when you want to create a drawing you get a menu that you can select the views you want and the scale. Then the program generates the views at the scale selected. I don't have to make changes but I can if I discover that I need more or less views or a different scale.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • stephen_lewin_berlinstephen_lewin_berlin Onshape Employees Posts: 20
    Dave, if you select a view and then RMB and select "properties", you can change the scale of each view independently.

Steve
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Glad to be on the early release of drawings. I like the way making drawings is intuitive and automatic - once I went through the help to learn.  Nice the way help is concise, well organized, and easy to get.  I am using drawings to document RFQ requests.  Working great!  Looking forward to the full implementation.

Thanks!

Bruce
    www.accuratepattern.com