Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sharing just an assembly

rick_conardrick_conard Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
how do I share an assembly with someone to view,  and not allow them to see other tabs in the document? 

Answers

• Ignacio_Martos_Ignacio_Martos_ Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 18
    @rick_conard

Create a new document, open an assembly tab, insert the desired assembly for sharing purposes and share that document! It will restrict access to only that assembly. 

When using link sharing you can also share to a locked version, workspace or release in a branch. So alternatively create a branch, delete everything, assemble the top level assembly you want to share and then you can link share from the same document (but I would recommend the first approach as best practice)  

• Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
    If you'd like to share just a single tab with someone, you will need to have it in its own document. If you right click on the tab at the bottom of the screen, there is an option called "Move to document..." where you can put that tab in either another existing document or a brand new document. Put the assembly in a new document and then share that new document with someone.
  • rick_conardrick_conard Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    the "insert assembly into a new document"  method works,  however it is still possible to see the BOM.   Is there any way to hide or prevent the BOM from being accessible?

thanks for the answers.

• Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
    Apologies for such a late reply, Rick. There is currently not a way to hide the BOM, as it is built in to each assembly tab by nature and is intended to be accessible when sharing assembly data.
  • Kody_HabeckKody_Habeck Member Posts: 9
    I shared an assembly as described here, but the issue I ran into is that since it moves the actual assembly to the new document the the assembly is no longer in the original document.  I am now not sure how I can make changes to my assembly as the parts are in one document and the assembly in another and if I "Open linked document" for a part in the assembly I am not able to edit because I set permissions to read only for the people I wanted to send it to and that must have also locked myself as read only.  Is there a way that I can undo what I did (move the assembly back to the original document and then create a copy of that document where I then move the assembly from the copy to a new document for sharing so that in the very first document my parts and assemblies are all still together?)
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    You can move the assembly back into the original document. This is an old thread. What you might want to do now is use a publication. It will allow you to share just the assembly.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/publications.htm
    https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/using-publications-share-design-data
  • Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    As S1mon said you can use the publication to share the assembly tab. Check the below video on how to use it.

Publications in Onshape → https://youtu.be/JWOBvudYbXA 
    I shared an assembly as described here, but the issue I ran into is that since it moves the actual assembly to the new document the the assembly is no longer in the original document.  I am now not sure how I can make changes to my assembly as the parts are in one document and the assembly in another and if I "Open linked document" for a part in the assembly I am not able to edit because I set permissions to read only for the people I wanted to send it to and that must have also locked myself as read only.  Is there a way that I can undo what I did (move the assembly back to the original document and then create a copy of that document where I then move the assembly from the copy to a new document for sharing so that in the very first document my parts and assemblies are all still together?)
    S1mon said:
    You can move the assembly back into the original document. This is an old thread. What you might want to do now is use a publication. It will allow you to share just the assembly.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/publications.htm
    https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/using-publications-share-design-data

Awesome I will do that, but how would I go about getting the original assembly back into the original document to do this?  
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    You can move the tab back. You will need at least one tab left in the document (you can't move the last tab out).
    S1mon said:
    You can move the tab back. You will need at least one tab left in the document (you can't move the last tab out).
    Thank you!  That is the secret that I was missing!  Created a new part studio and then was able to move the assembly back.