Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch : How to link dimension from other dimension ?

ROBOTIS_JapanROBOTIS_Japan Member Posts: 4 PRO
edited March 2021 in Community Support
Hi, 
My 1st technical question.

Please see below image.
How to link with other dimensions when inputting new dimension?
Is there a Variable list somewhere, should I refer to it?

Thanks first,
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    From recent times you can create variable from the input fields of features and sketch dimensions. Type "#" symbol and in the bottom of the list you will see an option to create new variable and insert it in the current input field with desired value thus you can  assign diam 9 of the circle on top to variable, and later use this variable in the dimension of the bottom circle
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can also use the equal constraint to make objects the same size within a sketch. You can use the equal constraint from sketch to sketch so long as the working plane is the same or parallel. 
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • Options
    Eric_PercyEric_Percy Member Posts: 1
    Answer ✓
    Shiba,
    I really hope that you get an answer for this as it is one of the things that I miss the most from Inventor. The ability to have a dimension drive another dimension/2 (for example) is something that I used in every drawing.
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Eric_Percy - As mentioned previously, there isn't a native way to reference other dimensions, but you can easily create variables that can be referenced by your dimensions. (I think there is an improvement request for something like this, maybe called "addressable dimensions" that you can vote on). 

Right now, you can get the same affect by using variables. So, you could create a variable called #d1 which is equal to 10mm. Then, you can use #d1 inside formulas for dimensions, such as #d1*2. The variables can be updated at any time and anything referencing those variables will update as well. 

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    From recent times you can create variable from the input fields of features and sketch dimensions. Type "#" symbol and in the bottom of the list you will see an option to create new variable and insert it in the current input field with desired value thus you can  assign diam 9 of the circle on top to variable, and later use this variable in the dimension of the bottom circle
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can also use the equal constraint to make objects the same size within a sketch. You can use the equal constraint from sketch to sketch so long as the working plane is the same or parallel. 
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • Options
    ROBOTIS_JapanROBOTIS_Japan Member Posts: 4 PRO
    konstantin_shiriazdanov said:
    Thank you for very quickly reply.
    I checked using "#" symbol in sketch dimension, this is nice shortcut! 
    It is be close what I want to do.

Fisher said:
    Thank you for reply.
    Sorry, the example I presented was not good.
    What I want to do is like below GIF.
    Like Autodesk Inventor, I want to calculate and use other linked dimensions. If dimensions of link source change, dimension of link destination will be changed automatically.

• Options
    Eric_PercyEric_Percy Member Posts: 1
    Answer ✓
    Shiba,
    I really hope that you get an answer for this as it is one of the things that I miss the most from Inventor. The ability to have a dimension drive another dimension/2 (for example) is something that I used in every drawing.
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Eric_Percy - As mentioned previously, there isn't a native way to reference other dimensions, but you can easily create variables that can be referenced by your dimensions. (I think there is an improvement request for something like this, maybe called "addressable dimensions" that you can vote on). 

Right now, you can get the same affect by using variables. So, you could create a variable called #d1 which is equal to 10mm. Then, you can use #d1 inside formulas for dimensions, such as #d1*2. The variables can be updated at any time and anything referencing those variables will update as well. 
  • Options
    t_kempKPDt_kempKPD Member Posts: 3
    Ya this is about to make me get a refund
  • Options
    tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    I'm just trolling these older posts that talk about driving dimensions to provide updates to others who are coming to the topic in more recent years. While we don't have direct referencing of other dimensions like you have in F360 and SW, the new on-the-fly variable creation method which has been in place since Dec. 2020 is a step in the right direction for sure!

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/15006/improvements-to-onshape-december-10th-2020/p1
  • Options
    ge0rgege0rge Member Posts: 10 PRO
    @lougallo Do you know if this is under development? This is something that we really are missing for our Enterprise, and it would be awesome to know if it's moving in the right direction. Thanks!
  • Options
    daniel_reisdaniel_reis Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. To solve I've created a new variable, but the value must be a number if it was set to Length you can't add formula in your sketch.
    Unfortunately there isn't a faster and direct way to do it.
  • Options
    gabe_ggabe_g Member Posts: 3
    gda_cto said:

Maybe it's the same effect, but its at least 2 extra steps. They don't need to be a variable. This is as common feature in every other mainstream CAD program, and the fact that it has been missing from OnShape for so long, despite having been asked for since it's inception is disappointing. It doesn't feel like the team is listening to people, or making an effort to make a very common, powerful and highly used and sought after feature available here. There are forum posts over 6 YEARS old asking for this feature, and it still doesn't exist. If i just want to make a relational dimension, i.e. a dimension should alwayss be half some other dimension, or whatever other constant, it shouldn't require creating variables.

Yeah they have a bunch of features like nobody asked for yet the ones that are so basic like this one are still missing.
    Suggestion For Develoment Team: You could create this feature by creating a variable internally(hidden from the user) just the same way one can reference the face of a part by clicking it. Like the user would click Line B and then click Line B and then assign length = to Line A  / 2 (for half length for example) then store both values in a variable.