Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I'd like to a hose with curved line in x-y-z space.

setsuo_uedasetsuo_ueda Member Posts: 1
I don't know the way to make a curved line for sweep. Please show me the way to a curved line in x-y-z space.

Answers

• Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited July 2015
    You'll have to construct the curve as a series of 2D sketches with coincident points. You can then select all the segments when creating the sweep.
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    traveler_hauptman I am also using your method to creat some guidelines, but it is not convenient,sometimes we need to creat different planes on which draw these sketch  curves ,so if we can draw curves in X-Y-Z space directly, how nice it is ! 
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @shanshan I agree. 
  • Options
    @ben_1 Nice, I forgot about that thread!
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @setsuo_ueda , With the help of  below step user can make a curved line for sweep in x-y-z space.
    Step 1: Draw sketch in front plane as shown below.

Step 2: Draw sketch in top view by projecting front view sketch as shown below.

Step 3:
    Draw a plane with the help of three point option.

Step 4:
    Draw sketch by projecting sketch 1 and sketch 2 as shown below.

Step 5: Draw a plane with option curve point as shown below image.

Step 6:
    Draw a sketch on plane 2 as shown below.

Step 7:
    Perform sweep operation as shown in below image.

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited July 2015
    Here's another way similar to Ben's original approach.

Sketch 2 curves on 2 normal planes and where they intersect, that's your 3d curve. Both pro/e & SW allowed this, in fact it was one of the CSWP exam questions.

So, here's how it goes.

Curve on the front plane:

Curve on the right plane:

I surface extrude them to help me visualize the intersection:

Create a 3D sketch (in the future) and get the intersection of these 2 surfaces. 

Since OS is missing 3D sketches, just thicken one of the surfaces, split with the other surface and you'll get an edge which you can use as a 3D curve.

Is it parametric? Yes. If you go back to the original planar sketch curves and change them, you'll regenerate a new 3D edge/curve.

I do use this technique on complex surface designs. It's too hard to manipulate a 3D curve while looking at a 2D screen and projecting 2 2d sketch curves might sound crazy, it's effective. When we have 3D screens, making/controlling 3D curves will be easier.