Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to design hair brush

anna_piranna_pir Member Posts: 14
hello there,
would like a tutorial showing how to design/create hair brush
 Pls see the image , cause I need to design something like that which will be open at 45 degree, whill have spring between 2 parts
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Have you started a doc? If you have, I can help, I will private message you my email so you can add me in to edit.

Bruce
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • anna_piranna_pir Member Posts: 14
    I am a bigginer, but I did some work and gave it on dwg format
    "Beginer" :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    We all have to start somewhere and having a product you want to design forces you to find way you can model it. I'd suggest first getting familiar with sketching on planes in Onshape, then practice the various modelling tools to understand what each one does. Your Hair brush will need a little more than basic skills but sure you will get there.  Try the Onshape Tutorials as well, Good luck and feel free to share me in. Bruce
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Bruce & Anna-

Please post how you set this up, I'm sure many can benefit from your discoveries.

Me, I would:
    -design the brush in it's closed state in a part studio
    -my first sketch would be on the top plane

Anna, good luck, you're in good hands with Bruce.

Ok, but how can I create and multipy the brush "teeth" easily, in many cad s there is an option to multiply the obejtc in desired direction
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @anna_pir have you tried the Feature Linear pattern command ?

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#linearpattern.htm?Highlight=linear pattern
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    U mean I can select one tooth of brush and than click on command and then?

By the way in which format i should convert the dwg to be able to work on it throu onshape?

thanks!
    You can't get 2d drawings into Onshape yet. Hopefully it will be in real soon.

I'd be starting from a new sketch, that way you will have full control
    Ok, thanks. Is there any tutorial for linear pattern command?
    ok, i shared the file with u, but i did nothing there :))) , i was hoping to continue my design from my dwg file,but no luck
    I have added layout sketch in for the rough shape. Using the dimensions you can drive the sketch to the size you want.

Are you happy working in inches? you can change to metric if you want.

I also uploaded billy's image into the doc for a reference. you could so do this with your drawing but will not be able to get it into the Onshape part studio.
    Answer ✓
    Hi @anna_pir below a video of of how to use the Linear pattern tool, hope it helps.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    @nav you could share your email address with @anna_pir via Private message and then copy to her doc
    nav said:
    Hi @anna_pir below a video of of how to use the Linear pattern tool, hope it helps.

OMG! this is amazing!!! can u share this file with me so I can make the desired changes, cause I want teeth 100% straight, and also want borders around the teeth rising from the edges of the brush

I have added layout sketch in for the rough shape. Using the dimensions you can drive the sketch to the size you want.

Are you happy working in inches? you can change to metric if you want.

I also uploaded billy's image into the doc for a reference. you could so do this with your drawing but will not be able to get it into the Onshape part studio.
    thank u very much yes, i a happy!

anna_pir said:
    nav said:

OMG! this is amazing!!! can u share this file with me so I can make the desired changes, cause I want teeth 100% straight, and also want borders around the teeth rising from the edges of the brush
    and also, is there a way to make the brush teeth pointy?
    Hi @brucebartlett thanks just did that. 
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    edited July 2015
    Hi @anna_pir I`ve made the Doc public you can copy it and make the desired changes :

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4614845d6ad942fc91d01558/w/3e1847d5d3d144c399a9bfea/e/c89b28a5dae14ac99eddc543

Not sure how your design is but if you want to make a 
    brush teeth pointy you can use for example the revolve command: 

1. Draw the profile you want to revolve: 

2. Use the revolve command    

Nicolas Ariza V.
    thank u again