Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using Beams cut list table in drawings

I have a Part Studio that was made largely with the Beam feature script.  One of the things Beam does is generate a Cutlist table in the Custom Tables tab with data like below.

Standard    Profile    Size    Length    Quantity
Timber    Lumber    2 x 2    20.5 in    2
Timber    Lumber    2 x 2    25 in    4
Timber    Lumber    2 x 2    89 in    2

I'd like to use this table in my drawing of the part.  I've tried the following to get the table into the drawing.

- Make a drawing of the part studio
  - I can't find a way to get the Cutlist table
  - I can make a table with the above data copied in, but that doesn't allow the table to be linked to the components
- Make a drawing of an assembly of the part studio
  - I still can't find a way to import the Cutlist table into the drawing
  - I can generate a BOM table, but that has each instance of a weldment piece as a separate line item, so there's 8 lines with Quantity 1
  - I can do the same copy/paste procedure with the same drawbacks

From the reading I've done, it would seem that having all the parts in an assembly is the canonical way to do this in OnShape, but I'd love to be able to use the existing Cutlist table.  For now, I'm going to do the copy/paste thing as a workaround.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @fletcher_porter, the best workflow that I have come up with so far is to delete redundant parts from the Part Studio.  Then create an assembly from the remaining parts.  The BoM from that assembly will carry over to the Assembly Drawing.

Note that there are naming options in the Beam FS.  Selecting LENGTH will make the BoM into a serviceable cutlist.

Manually delete any redundant parts, as they have served their purpose once all ends have been properly trimmed/extended/mitered/coped.

Then create the assembly.

Then create a drawing of the assembly, with a BoM.

Does this approach meet your needs?

• Options
    fletcher_porterfletcher_porter Member Posts: 14
    Not quite unfortunately.  I have some extra features on top of the Beams (holes and things) that make the various members be separate lines on the BOM.  But I'd like that the same-length members be the same line on the Cutlist (which in the generated table above, they are!).