Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 12th, 2022

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
edited February 2022 in New in Onshape
On behalf of everyone at PTC, I'd like to wish our users everywhere a Happy and Prosperous New Year! Do you think we had time to rest over the holiday period? Not at all. We're keeping the ball rolling with this latest update...

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

SEARCH/FILTER/NAVIGATE DOCUMENT HISTORY

Documents with a long history of edits can be difficult to navigate and find the exact moment in time when a certain edit took place. The Versions and history panel now includes a search tool to help you quickly find a history entry based on element tab, object type, user or date. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wyzh3ahk04?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

COMPUTED MASS

The mass of a Part is now automatically calculated based on the assigned material. The Mass Part property can then be used in Drawing notes, title blocks, callouts and BOM tables and will update automatically when the Part geometry or material is changed.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/we12hfax4y?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

MATERIAL CONTEXT MENU

If a material has already been assigned to a Part, the context menu now changes from Assign material to Edit material to make it easier to determine whether a material has been assigned or not. 

QUICK SELECTION

The Create selection tool is now integrated into the context menu. Hover over geometry and right-click to see the selection options available.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5x2u2ll6sq?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

MISSING REFERENCES IN FOLDERS

A new Folder icon lets you know when one or more features inside it have missing references.

ADD TEAM CREATOR TO TEAM

When a new Team is created, the default behaviour is now to automatically add the creator to that team.

FEATURE IMPROVEMENTS

ADDITIONAL CONTROL FOR VARIABLE RADIUS FILLETS 

Inflection points for variable radius fillets can now be added along an edge to precisely position each radius value.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/v7f8ajnt0l?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

SPLIT PART CHOOSE SIDE TO KEEP

The Split part feature now lets you choose whether you want to keep the geometry on one or both sides of the split. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/d62crmr2uc?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

VISUALIZATION IMPROVEMENTS

SCALE/FLIP ZEBRA STRIPES

The zebra stripes created by the Curvature visualization tool can now be fine tuned to help you inspect the quality of your surfaces.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jjqxlat6uy?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

HIGH QUALITY TESSELLATION FOR SURFACE ANALYSIS

Whenever you need a better graphics representation, especially during surface analysis, you can now temporarily switch your view to high quality.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/s5p3d3cebl?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

IMPROVED CURVE TESSELLATION

Curves are now automatically rendered to a finer tolerance to make their curvature easier to visualize.

FACE CURVATURE COMBS

The Show curvature command can now display curvature combs on faces to help you check surface quality and curvature continuity.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/vg62vknqvo?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

IN-CONTEXT TRANSPARENCY CONTROL

Viewing, selecting and hiding in-context assembly geometry is now easy with the new “Context transparency” slider.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/s7p9nylalj?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

HIDE PARTS IN ISOLATE

The Isolate and Make transparent commands now include a new option to hide transparent parts completely.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ip1bxo6rl3?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

HIGHLIGHT FEATURES FROM PARTS LIST

In addition to the filter at the top of the Feature list, you can now select a Part, Surface or Curve from the Parts list and the features used to construct them are highlighted in the Feature list.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bbkhcd0ga1?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

TRUE RADIUS DIMENSIONS

The Radial dimension tool is now able to measure and display the correct size of a fillet or other circular edge that is not in the plane of the Drawing view and therefore not a true arc.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/t486c1mpnr?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

TABLE CELL PADDING

A new Drawing property for tables enables you to control padding around text in a cell. This is a global property for all tables and all cells in a Drawing to specify the minimum horizontal and vertical spacing around text in a cell to maintain legibility or to increase the density of information displayed.

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

CUSTOM COMPUTED PART PROPERTIES

In addition to computed mass, Onshape Professional and Onshape Enterprise customers can now define the value of a Part custom property using FeatureScript. The result of the custom part property feature can be overridden by the user (with permissions) and can be displayed in BOM tables and Drawing notes. Documentation for this feature can be found here.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6ggb0lohpw?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

TRANSFER OWNERSHIP

The Transfer ownership dialog now lists Onshape Enterprise and Onshape Professional companies separately. This makes it easier for users who are members of multiple companies to ensure that the right documents are transferred to the right company. 

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    History search... YESSS!!!
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    edited January 2022
    WOW. So many useful updates that I will be using right away.

It's funny how the Split update is a bit like the Section featurescript. Any chance we'll be able to split a part with a open sketch soon?

I assume the ability to dial in the density of the surface curvature combs will be coming soon too?

One thought about computed part properties - it would be really great to not have to drag stuff out of a BOM table in Onshape and into Excel just to roll up cost or weight.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    WOW

Finally computed mass property. Now I can ditch my work around. 

Computed custom property for costing and sheet size, just in time! I'm working on that right now

Excellent update 
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    For a second there, I really though we were actually going to be able to search and filter the version graph in such a way that we would be able to expose all released drawings for example in one big list regardless of what version the release is part of.  That search functionality is so great though.  I've been thinking of creating an improvement request for what I just explained and thought for a second my mind might be getting read.  @pete_yodis
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Mmmmm.  Computed part properties and mass.  Just can't wait to see these two things arrive into the assembly environment.  In my case, the only people concerned with the weight of something are sales, shipping and customers and they are looking at assembly drawings.  I understand its a start and might as well be released since it it available now.
  • ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Custom computed part properties is great, can we get a user library or page though of example codes we can implement ourselves that may only require minimal editing, not everyone is comfortable with coding! *cough cough me.

The volume and bounding box would be very useful for us but I find it a bit weird the onus is on the user to learn to code to be able to use that.

Cheers for all the updates.

• Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
    I'm amazed at how consistently great Onshape improvements are.
  • ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Also just noting that the create selection shortcut and in general the tool don't appear to work for loop chain connected if the sketch being selected comes from a transform pattern FS feature.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    A surprisingly big update given how surprisingly big the last one was. Lots of things here that I've wanted for a while. Showing curvature combs during curve and surface creation is huge. Search for history is too (I think I need it tomorrow morning). Temporary high-quality tessellation, better splitting and fillets... Too many improvements to talk about. This update is a banger!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Wow, I need time to digest all of this  :)
    Finally we got mass and computed part properties, this is the trigger for me to refresh my programming background and to start using FeatureScript.

Thank you  :)
  • Phillip_BPhillip_B Member Posts: 33 PRO
    December update was nice. January update is awesome!

If just as many updates for drawings come in February, I'll run out of superlatives.
  • dan_manoimdan_manoim OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    Wow! there are so many improvements here, that are important to me, I wouldn't know where to start.
  • david_rubli136david_rubli136 Member Posts: 16 PRO
    Wow, amazing!
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Thank you....what an update!
  • Gavin_MunroGavin_Munro Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Cracking updates guys.
    History search, followed by highlight features from parts list are my favourites, but anything that improves drawings is always welcome. The ability to grab and freely rotate an isometric view within the drawing would be great.

A nice New Year's present for us all. Cheers!

Found a bug i think.
    If a model is transparent no curvature visualization appears.
    I can't remember if this was the same before the update.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Phillip_B said:
    Found a bug i think.
    Hi @Phillip_B - I can't reproduce that on any of my models - if it's an issue can you submit a support ticket? Thanks.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    NeilCooke schrieb:
    Phillip_B said:
    Found a bug i think.
    Hi @Phillip_B - I can't reproduce that on any of my models - if it's an issue can you submit a support ticket? Thanks.
    Done.

I can reproduce this behavior:
    - Create new solid part
    - change transparency to e.g. 46% under appearance
    - try to visualize curvature
    - nothing appears
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    Very nice, thanks Onshape/PTC team!  

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Love this! Thanks guys!
  • Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    Love the mass update. Fingers crossed we will get a cosmetic external thread soon.
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Wowzers!  Those are some very useful upgrades!  I especially like the changes to the variable fillets.  Nice work.
  • patrice_fortin568patrice_fortin568 Member, csevp Posts: 3 PRO
    Finally the computed mass !!! Thanks !
  • steven_elliott555steven_elliott555 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    These are some solid and much needed core functionality improvements!  I'm interested in how Onshape calculated the bounding box of the flat pattern used in the computed part property example.  Looking into that now.  
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Great job Onshape!
    My favourite is the in-context transparency slider. Fluidly alternating between picking context references and working just with the new part is much better than turning the context on and off.
  • antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 13 PRO
    Love the mass update!  Huge step in the right direction.. still need the ability to compute properties in the context of an assembly, so that the CG of a part within that assembly can be easily exported!

Thread on the topic..
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14114/report-mass-properties-information-through-the-bom#latest
  • reinhard_weberreinhard_weber Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    I am overwhelmed.
  • john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Incredible. Great work Onshape, keep it coming. Custom Computed Part Properties combined with FS has so many possibilities. Amazing.
  • Lewis_Maina_MuthoniLewis_Maina_Muthoni Member, csevp Posts: 10 ✭✭
    This is fantastic...thanks to Onshape and PTC amazing team. Am anxious to see what is available in assemblies.