Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rotating Sketch Features

stuart_everystuart_every Member Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in Community Support
Drew a feature in a Sketch, and then needed to change its position on the Component Circumference.

Couldn't figure out how to Rotate these features, nor how to choose a Centre of Rotation.

Ended up using the Transform (I think) function, which gave me the white arrow Tool. I dragged the 'point' of this tool, to the Rotation Centre, then used the Rotate icon to select that function, then inputed the angle; all ok so far...

Then clicked the left button to OK the change, at which point the feature shot across to a random point in the Sketch

What am I doing wrong here?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    shade_wilsonshade_wilson Member Posts: 2
    How do you rotate a sketch in 3D? For example, if you were facing the object in the same direction the entire time and then rotating it exactly 90 degrees, it would look completely flat, just like turning around a piece of paper. I cannot figure out how to do this.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    How do you rotate a sketch in 3D? For example, if you were facing the object in the same direction the entire time and then rotating it exactly 90 degrees, it would look completely flat, just like turning around a piece of paper. I cannot figure out how to do this.
    Edit the sketch plane in the sketch dialog to point to a plane at 90 degrees
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 92 PRO
    @NeilCooke what if you create a sketch, you need it initially where you have created it, but then you also need the same sketch, rotated 90 degrees in its x or y axis later downstream ? 
    I can't re-set its plane, because I need it where it is initially
    I can't projects any content because its 90 degrees rotated...
    do I have to create a further sketch @ 45 degrees and double project around the corner? Seems a bit heavy. The transform feature can't pick sketches unless I'm missing something?
    Any other workflows? 
    Thanks
    Rob
  • Options
    @robert_stiles you would have to create a new sketch and paste the entities into it, although they would not be linked. Alternatively, if the sketch is closed, you could create a zero offset surface on the sketch face, then transform the surface then use that for extrude etc.
  • Options
    @NeilCooke, thankyou so much for the reply. 
    The second option will work for me, thanks. 
    It would be good if you could apply the transform feature to sketches though ! 

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    Another option would be to do a circular pattern on the sketch feature (if all you need is a 90deg "offset").
    One more alternative is to use the "transform pattern" custom feature (if a simple circular pattern doesn't give you enough control) which does allow transforming a sketch (similar to the zero offset surface) to save a step.
  • Options
    Also, if it is an extrude you're creating, rather than transform the sketch, create the first extrude as a new part, transform/copy, then merge both into the main part.
  • Options
    Ah @eric_pesty... pattern a feature - of course. I should have known that. (there no face-plant emoji ? now there's a valid Improvement request if ever I came up with one)
    Thanks everyone. Very speedy responses.