Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Export XML

ehsan_pazookiehsan_pazooki Member Posts: 52 EDU
Hello guys,

is there any way to export a CAD file with XML format?
Or convert a STEP file to XML for free?

Could some one help me please?
Thank you very much.

Best regards
Essi

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    XML is a standard generic format for data. There are a lot of different XML schemas for different purposes. What are you trying to do? What program are you trying to import this into?

The short answer is that if it's not listed in the export formats, then Onshape doesn't handle it (yet).
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    Not sure what you are trying to do but the new 3MF format is XML based so maybe you can try that and possibly parse the file to extract some geometry (assuming this is what you want...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Manufacturing_Format
  • Options
    Hello guys,

Thank you so much for your response. Actually I want to import CAD files from onshape into Simulink in Matlab.
    Then I want to try to use the features of simulink and add them to the assembly model that I designed in Onshape. (for example PID controller, LQ controller and so on).
    This is what I want to do.
    Could you please help me?

Best regards
    Essi
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    I've never used this, but here's a link to the help. Seems a little convoluted, but doable.

https://www.mathworks.com/help/physmod/sm/ref/smexportonshape.html

• Options
    Hello =)

great link. Thank you =)

Best regards
    Essi