Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why are my 3MF exports faulty?

sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
Hello everyone, 

I just tried to export a part as 3MF and my slicer software for my 3D-Printer (Flashprint 5) said it has to repair the geometry.
Also the 3D-Builder Software from Windows 10 said it has to repair my geometry. But after the repair the geometry looks wrong.

Is there anyone who has experience with the 3MF Format and can help me?

I just tried a simple geometry in 3D-Builder.
Before repair:

After repair:

It looks like the surfaces of the fillets and the hole are not connected.
What do you think?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• SauerSauer Member Posts: 7
    Answer ✓
    Glad to see I'm not going crazy. I am getting the same behavior in Prusaslicer, Superslicer (An experimental Prusaslicer fork), and Cura.

For example, the cup-holder in this document:

When exported as 3MF ends up looking like this in Prusa & Superslicer:
    A disjointed collection of shells.

In Cura the model initially looks correct:

But on slicing its still just a disjointed collection of shells and Cura extruded in the few closed solids it could find.

Neither slicer has a problem with an STL version of this model.

Answers

• SauerSauer Member Posts: 7
    Answer ✓
    Glad to see I'm not going crazy. I am getting the same behavior in Prusaslicer, Superslicer (An experimental Prusaslicer fork), and Cura.

For example, the cup-holder in this document:

When exported as 3MF ends up looking like this in Prusa & Superslicer:
    A disjointed collection of shells.

In Cura the model initially looks correct:

But on slicing its still just a disjointed collection of shells and Cura extruded in the few closed solids it could find.

Neither slicer has a problem with an STL version of this model.
  • DodaschDodasch Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I got the same Problem, Simplify3D and PrusaSlicer can't use the faulty 3mf files. I think it's an export Problem, hopefully the Onshape Team will fix this Problem soon! :wink:
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    I have the same issue. I'm using the print software that comes with Qidi printers, and made sure it was the latest version. I was excited to try 3MF for the first time a few days ago, and it gave some errors. I gave up and went back to stl.
  • WernightWernight Member Posts: 6
    I'm happy that 3MF support is being added. Hope the issues are going to be ironed out. It seems that boolean operations aren't properly exported.
  • Matt_LoMatt_Lo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 15
    We are pushing a fix for this soon. Please submit support tickets so that we can track the problem
  • john_saljohn_sal Member Posts: 3
    Matt_Lo said:
    We are pushing a fix for this soon. Please submit support tickets so that we can track the problem

Has the fix been implemented yet? I'm still having issues too.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited September 2022
    Edit, mine is working. I thought it was not, as I could not align to the build plate with 3mf, but stl would align perfectly. If I "reset" on the rotate toolbar of QidiPrint, it now works.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @nick_papageorge073
    When I use FlashForge's Flashprint slicer, I still get a message that the geometry needs to be repaired.
    After the repair, the geometry is corrupted.

It looks like each slicer behaves differently. I still use stl files to export geometry from Onshape.
  • john_saljohn_sal Member Posts: 3
    I forgot to add I'm using Prusa/SuperSlicer
  • kanineAUkanineAU Member Posts: 4
    Having this problem with Lychee as well, the 3mf file renders fine in 3D Builder, but in Lychee it imports but is invisible, only the handles for moving it are shown.