Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Top-Level Assembly State Bug?

nickolas_koenickolas_koe Member Posts: 2 EDU
I have a top-level assembly composed of multiple subassemblies - on first load the assembly appears correctly, but moving to another tab and then back to the main assembly causes it to display what seems like an older version. Moving individual parts around after suppressing their mates updates them and puts them in the correct position, and refreshing onshape shows the correct assembly.

Video

Best Answer

• Matt_LoMatt_Lo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 15
    Answer ✓
    We have been seeing this issue and are working to address it. The current, stable workaround is to clear your local display cache and clear your browser cache

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I've been experiencing it too recently. Sometimes many parts are missing as well.
    ctrl+f5 seems to help
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    I have recently seen this as well I think about three times since update before last.  I happened in a way where I was left feeling like I new what was happening but could actually put my finger on it.  It was sort of surreal.  I didn't feel confident enough I hadn't imagined it so I didn't report it.  For me, refreshing my browser put things right.
    For me it isn't a previous version I'm seeing.
    Rather it's just parts disappearing.

I was diving in from assembly to assembly to look at a part. When I pressed the back button to go back up the assembly most of the parts are gone.

OfCourse F5 fixes it, but this is happening very frequently now since last update at least.

edited May 2022
    I mean, so frequently I just happened again on a similar assembly
    this time I didn't press the back button, but just opened the assembly tab from the tab manager

and again.. last post, I believe my point was made..  :p

• Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    edited May 2022
    I am having the same issue, when I switch back to the assembly from a part studio, a lot of parts are hidden. they are set to show in the tree but if you toggle the eye icon they come back
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Solution, Press Ctrl R , refresh browser and everything is back to normal.
    Solution, Press Ctrl R , refresh browser and everything is back to normal.
    yes, that works, but you should not have to constantly do that every time you go to the assembly while working on it.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I hope somebody has created a support ticket?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    John. Please refresh me on what ctrl+f5 means. Can't find ref in help files or short cuts.
    Saw some problems the other day that fit with Nick's description. Wasn't just in one assembly, but the whole document.
    John. Please refresh me on what ctrl+f5 means. Can't find ref in help files or short cuts.
    Saw some problems the other day that fit with Nick's description. Wasn't just in one assembly, but the whole document.
    it will force your browser to retrieve data from the server rather than from the cache.
    NeilCooke said:
    no, I didn't yet.
    here is one 301631
  • nickolas_koenickolas_koe Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I filed a bug report for this and linked back to this forum post.

Now the problem seems a bit less frequent, and I get this notification when it occurs (and updates after a part figures itself out): 

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Another workaround that might be a bit faster than a full refresh is to right-click > hide all instances, right click > show all instances.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    I just changed some holes in a part studio and when I went to the assembly nothing had changed and some parts were hidden. I hid all the parts and showed them again and all the holes then corrected to the new position. It might be related, I will see what happens. :-)
    Answer ✓
    We have been seeing this issue and are working to address it. The current, stable workaround is to clear your local display cache and clear your browser cache
    To clear local display cache, press Ctrl+D (twice on Windows), then click the button near the bottom.
    NeilCooke said:
    I would but in this case, it seems like a problem that will require me to input a lot of time attempting to showcase it in a way that support feels confident they can bug it.  :).  There is no way I can think of to demonstrate it because as soon as the document gets opened, the issue disappears.
    Thanks @shawn_crocker we have found some examples and are working on it. 
    Sorry @NeilCooke.  Just being honest.  
    I have found that it also is causing an issue with measuring in the assembly. I was not able to measure from some parts and when I hid all parts and then showed all parts the measure toll works again.
    I happened to me just now and I was able to show it.  I made changes to a sub assembly.  The top level assembly is referencing the workspace.  The top level assembly is still showing the old version of the sub assembly until I refresh.

We just pushed a fix for this. Please let us know if you still experience the problem
    Thanks @Matt_Lo
    I love you all at Onshape Support. I'll let you know if I see it again. So far, I haven't seen it in a while.  (Ever since I submitted a ticket, of course! Call the mechanic and the car runs like a million bucks...) :smile:

Glad you had enough information to isolate a potential cause.
    I am amazed at how fast fixes for stuff like this come to fruition.
    edited May 2022
    Thanks @shawn_crocker - considering it took us 4 days to find some examples and reproduce it and then less than 24h to fix, QA and ship it, shows the dedication and expertise of the Dev and QA teams. What amazes me is that there is always someone who knows the cause and knows how to fix it!