Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to put a groove into a curved surface

kenn_sebesta167kenn_sebesta167 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Using Onshape
I made a curved surface by using Bridge Curves, Fills, and an Enclosure. Now I would like to place a groove/channel into it. The idea is the groove should start on the left edge and continue along the rough middle of the surface to the right edge. The groove will be much narrower than the surface.

How would I do that?

Comments

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    @kenn_sebesta167

I’VE MADE A NEW DOCUMENT.
    LOOK FOR THE LINK IN MY POST BELOW

Step through the last six features

• Options
    edited May 2022
    @kenn_sebesta167

I’ve added more Part Studios that show different grooves 

But in particular, with these new part studios, I think the new shape reflects a little bit more what you have going on at the right side of your part, where the surface is more curved. More concaved

Anyway these Part Studios should give you a few ideas on how to go about it. I’m sure there are other folks out there that could come up with other ways also

Step through the different features of the Part Studios to see how everything is done

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Part Studio 2C has been improved

7 less features now to get the same result as before

Regarding The part studios that have grooves based on other than a circle — the part studio named UNI WIDTH might have a particular interest to you in that the side walls are spaced apart at a fairly consistent distance along the entire length of the groove.

The width of the groove at the top of the sidewalls is .622 inches

The width at the bottom of the side walls, where they meet the floor, varies between .621 inches and .623 inches

• Options
    Neat, thanks! I'm going to study that carefully.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @kenn_sebesta167

you’re welcome Kenn

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/74f569a1eedd2fa50990e153/w/d37b3ec6c1aba6e68e466f85/e/1b24dbf682983aa81dfefdab

Here’s a more recent document

Over the weekend I’ll try and give a little explanation as to what all these different Part Studios are about. And maybe, what the advantages of using one over the other may be

But in the meantime, UNI WIDTH 1 and UNI WIDTH 1B are dead on for the entire length regarding the width of the groove

• Options
    This is really good stuff. Seeing your process, I was no where close to figuring this out.