Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Line color in sketch

gerald_friedmangerald_friedman OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
I do line layouts in sketch mode to identify locations of parts or paths of motion.

Has any thought been to having a "layout mode" that allows changing of line colors?

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    This would be very helpful; I also miss it from SW.  Here are a few Improvement Requests - please vote up!

Sketch Color
    Layers and Sketch Color
    Another Sketch Color

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    I'd love to be able to change line colors in a sketch, and also to name/label dimensions for similar reasons.

The ability to annotate sketch dimensions would be a great improvement.
  • Options
    john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    In OnShape, the dimension lines are really hard to distinguish from the lines of the design. 
    Also, despite my using a high res screen (4K),  ALL the lines in a Sketch are about 8 pixels wide.

For such a sophisticated application as OnShape, it's absolutely ridiculous.

IMO, by leaving things like this, the developers are crippling the usability of OnShape. 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    Keep your sketch simple and it’s not a problem :smiley:
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    edited June 2022
    @john_smith077

What exactly are you doing in your sketches that is making this so challenging? Neils answer is perhaps a bit flippant, but I'm curious how dense or complex your sketches are. 

[edit]
    I saw what you're working on in another thread. Your sketch is way too complex and you're doing all the work manually. The is not Illustrator or Autocad. The whole point of a parametric tool is to capture design intent, and get the tool to do as much of the work of figuring out things like k-factors, bend relief, etc as possible.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I don't know how it looks on a 4k monitor, but the dimension lines are thinner than geometry lines.

perhaps you could try to zoom in by using  ctrl+mouse wheel, you will have to put your mouse cursor outside of the drawing area. The toolbar is a good spot.

• Options
    rokersonrokerson Member Posts: 13 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Keep your sketch simple and it’s not a problem :smiley:
    @NeilCooke
    Do you have some recommended tutorials on how to do "simple" layouts, kinematics, or checking clearances?

Coming from NX, the ability to color and/or hide sketch lines within one sketch was immensely helpful for layouts or kinematics.  I can "keep sketches simple" in OnShape but need to click in and out of multiple sketches when changes interrelated. It's a pretty clunky workflow for something that other CAD programs can easily handle.
  • Options
    ValNthValNth Member Posts: 2
    I believe it would also be way more user-friendly, if the lines you project with the "use" feature, from other sketches would have anything to differentiate them, like a color other than black. I started with Fusion360, before switching to Onshape and the thing I miss the most is the easy visibility between projected purple lines and the current ones.