Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 6, 2014

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
edited November 2014 in New in Onshape
This is the largest improvement update since the start of Pre-production back in early August.  This update is filled with a number of highly requested improvements across sketching, part studios and assemblies.  Here are the highlights:
Highlights:
  1. Paging is now supported in the change history fly-out with a "More..." link to load the next page.  This reduces the number of entries that come up at launch and increases performance.

2. Import options to transform Y or Z up coordinates.  Onshape now has an option in the Translate dialog to realign the import to be oriented as it was in SolidWorks / Inventor.

3. User signin has been increased to 4 hours of inactivity before automatic signout happens. (However if you don't model for up to 1 hour, your document will display "Return to the Documents page blue message.)

4. Arc length dimensions are now supported in sketching.

5. Intelligent detection of nested profiles for solid creation in the Extrude/Revolve features.

6. Improved measure with graphical feedback

7. New mass properties dialogue in Part Studios (Assemblies is coming...)

8. Box selection in Onshape has now been implemented with support for both box and cross selection!  Currently filtering is determined by the active command and which entity selections make sense.

9. The cursor now displays a count of the current selections (Look closely in the other animations)

10. View cube (upper right) now displays X,Y,Z color coordinates.

11. You can now hide Mate connectors that were created in Part Studios in the Assembly.

12. A new feedback tool called Usersnap was implemented to give markup capability for tickets.

13. Various performance improvements were added to the change history panel and create version functions.
Give them a test!  This was the largest push to date and for those of you who submitted tickets, you will be notified here shortly on your specific fixes!  Happy Onshaping!  ~Lou

UPDATE:  
I forgot to mention one more performance improvement we added for faster tab switching.  You may notice once a tab has been loaded, switching back to it is now much faster.  Check it out!  ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Impressive!
    Measurement functionality is great...

Dries
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great Improvements, Good Job.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Usersnap can be a great tool to communicate with other users or to store notes with the project.  I was disappointed to find that it is only for tickets

Gal Raz
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I also thought it would be good for capturing project notes. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    I'm with @Gal‌ and @babart77‌ Usersnap would be great to have inside the system and not just in the support area
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We have been thinking of other applications but it is currently for support. As far as it being a markup or tool for annotating for sharing, I think we would be able to do much more that this tool does. Stay tuned. 
  • michael_topolovacmichael_topolovac OS Professional Posts: 2 PRO
    Love that measure now shows what you are measuring clearly...great stuff!
  • KevinPsiKevinPsi Member Posts: 1
    Big fan of the change to measure.

I strongly agree that better commenting of features and sketches, etc. would be great. Right now, the dialog boxes for in-project documentation barely support enough text to contain one sentence. It would be great to see this built out more so we can start playing with documentation and giving better feedback sooner on an aspect of this product that will likely be very important in the long run.  
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Pro Tip (hidden for now) If you hit CTRL U, you can pop up the feedback using User Snap.  If this ends up sticking around as our feedback tool (or portion of our system) I will update the keyboard map to reflect this.