Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 27th, 2022

Ignacio_Martos_Ignacio_Martos_ Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 18
edited July 2022 in New in Onshape
Summer means more beach days and Onshape updates. We are excited to present some extremely requested tools in Onshape this month, including Global variables, named positions enhancements and serious drawing styling upgrades. 

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

VARIABLE STUDIOS (GLOBAL VARIABLES)

One of the all time most requested features, variable studios will enable you to create global variables. Variable studio variables can be used in both part studios and assemblies, they can be called across documents and versioned. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/r0eftaehd3

TAPERED PIPE HOLES AND CALL OUTS

For many projects you might need a tapered hole to install piping, many users have requested these for the hole tool and drawings. You can now create tapered holes and call them out in your drawings! 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2fmn8upxfn

NAMED POSITIONS ENHANCEMENTS

Named positions are receiving a major upgrade, with a new UI. Named positions have moved from the Assembly toolbar to the right side panel. You can now add Mate degrees of freedom to the new Named positions table and use the named positions edit mode to drive Assembly parts and Mate positions. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bkezy7hle1

REVISION ICONS ON RELEASED ITEMS

When releasing assemblies in Onshape you will now see the revision icon represented in the assembly tree to indicate children instances that have been released. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pfs5e903t2

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

AUTO GENERATED CENTER LINES ON CIRCULAR OR ARCHED GEOMETRY

When drawing torus geometry, such as piping you might want to draw a centerline through the geometry. It is now possible to automatically draw centerlines across swept, extruded and other circular or arced geometry. 

STYLE PANEL FOR BEND NOTES

You can now style bend notes in the styling panel. 

STYLE PANEL FOR WELD SYMBOLS 

You can now style weld symbols in the styling panel.

STYLE PANEL FOR DATUMS

You can now style datums in the styling panel.  

STYLE PANEL HOLE CALLOUTS 

You can now style hole callouts in the styling panel. 

ADJUST LINE STYLE

There is an exciting new way of editing lines in drawings, allowing you to add color and customize individual lines, opening up a world of possibilities when defining drawing styles. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/m6tzky2zuy

DETAILED VIEW LEADER

When working with detailed views you can now switch the conventional reference to a leader. 

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS 

SEARCH DOCUMENTS BY USER CRITERIA

The search tool now has added criteria, you can now search Onshape by “Creator” and “Owner.” 

3MF IMPORTS

You can now import 3MF geometry into Onshape, this can be very useful if you want to maintain multiple mesh parts and appearances when working with mesh geometry. 

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

ENTERPRISE HEALTH DASHBOARD

The new enterprise health dashboard provides quick and easy access to enterprise wide analytics. At a high level you will be able to understand your enterprise, its users and the tools they are leveraging every day when working in CAD. 

IOS IMPROVEMENTS

FEATURE SEARCH AND FILTER

Filters are now available in iOS for Part Studios and Assemblies and serve to aid in the selection of parameters like part name, assemblies, variables and more.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8bsfc9gf42

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

CAMERA AND ROTATION UI CHANGE

The camera options and settings tools have been repositioned in the UI for easier access. You can now open up a position and rotation menu in the view cube drop down. 

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments in the Forum post. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Comments

• easonwangeasonwang Member Posts: 2 EDU
    好棒的更新
    幫助很大
  • gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    Wow guys, this one is full of good stuff! Thank you!
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    It's going to take a while to dig through all of this, but there are several that have been on the top of other people's lists for a long time (e.g. pipe threads and colored line styles).

Coming from Solidworks where I avoided variables because of how awkward they were, I've had to warm up to them slowly. They were already much easier to use in Onshape, and Variable studios will make them substantially more powerful.

The release icon in assembly view seems like it will help, but the video doesn't make it clear how this will work if the release was done in another document.

The new named position views updates sound great.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    S1mon said:
    The release icon in assembly view seems like it will help, but the video doesn't make it clear how this will work if the release was done in another document.

Hi S1mon,

The way the release icon update works is that if there is a reference in a version that has been released, it will indicate it in the assembly tree.  This includes instances that are added from the workspace, from a version of the current document, and versions from other documents.  It is not related to where the release package is made (or even if you are looking at a release).
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Very nice update. I always love seeing enhancements to drawings. Global variables will be really nice.

The "revision icons on released items" one does raise one question. When I go to release an assembly, typically a weldment, I'll get a lot of parts that are asking to be rereleased but don't have any geometry change (it even says it right there on the release). I'm always a little confused about whether I should hit the button to "revert unchanged items to last revision".
  • AlexDAlexD Member Posts: 16 PRO
    Variable Studios: Great, truly global.
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
     :) 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Awesome! Global variables and Line styles in drawings!

Is there a way to push a result from featurescript into the variable studio?

Here I have a featurescript that sets the value of variable Testx, I want to be able to set the value of Test1 = Testx
    I generate a ton of variables in featurescript that need to be global. I have work arounds in part studios, but I need a few in the assembly as well. I was hoping there would be a way to modify a value in the table.

I understand there will probably not be support for this since poor practice can make circular references.
    But that is extremely critical for me, otherwise I'm just manually entering the results from the featurescript, which defeats the purpose...

• ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Outstanding Onshape Team! Global variables and Named positions is a huge plus for us. Revision icon display is a unexpected bonus and very much appreciated for reference clarity. Our team was on the improvement request asking to see triangles; it's easier to scan and confirm released items
  • david_bornsteindavid_bornstein Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Awesome!! NPT holes & drawing enhancements. Thank you!!
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    WOW !  This release is very good with several enhanments to drawings.  Thank you !!
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Awesome!! My team and I have waited so long for the different line types in drawings.

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Another fantastic update, Global variables & Named Positions as well as all the drawing improvements...thank you
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    I love the morning coffee with reading through Onshape updates, it is like Christmas again! :) Global variables is the big gun now, but the smaller improvements are really nice too! Thanks, and keep up!

same ^^ love these update posts
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Yay, it's an Onshape update day! Stoked about the global variables. Thanks y'all :)
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Very good drawing enhancements. Thanks for the improvements Onshape team!
  • Gavin_MunroGavin_Munro Member Posts: 14 PRO
    edited June 2022
    Loving every one of these improvements. I've thought about many of them, but never gone as far as suggesting them.
  • richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael and I will be live this morning at 9:00am EDT discussing the latest release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFL90QE_s5k

You can join in the conversation using the chat.

Richard
  • svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 63 PRO
    Tested named positions  it works with nested Assemblies  Great feature thanks Onshape!
  • tim_wheelertim_wheeler Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Pipe Threads!  Looking forward to what you've done here.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Now this is utilizing the cloud. Thanks Onshape team for this fantastic update!

If spaceX starts using Onshape then we could call this Galactic variables!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Global Variables.... Yay!!
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    Awesome! Global variables and Line styles in drawings!

Is there a way to push a result from featurescript into the variable studio?
    It's been discussed. Not yet. :) Would you use FS purely to generate values, or to evaluate them off an existing Part Studio?
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Wow, I really need pipe threads!  However, when I went to an existing document, NPT wasn't in the hole dialog.  This document is updated.  Guidance?