Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Point on a Curve?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
I've been looking around for a FeatureScript that would do a few things:
  • Create a point on a curve based on a parameter (0..1)
  • Create a point on a curve based on chord length from chosen endpoint
  • Create a point on a curve based on the distance from an arbitrary reference (plane, point, line, maybe surface?)
I know that there are things like MultiMateConnector or some of the fancy Plane FeatureScripts which would get me part of the way on some of these. There are ways to do some of these with multiple features or sketches, but I'd like a simple single feature that I can put a variable into and use for patterning.

I also know that if I would write this imaginary FeatureScript it would help others, but I'm hoping that it exists already and I just can't find it.

Best Answer

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    3D Points can at least do the first one.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    3D Points can at least do the first one.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    @Evan_Reese
    I rediscovered that there's another FS called 3D Point (no 's') which does some similar things and some different things to your 3D Points. It looks like it hasn't been actively updated in a while, but it's popular. It seems like there could be some value in combining some of the functionality from each of these approaches into a single tool.

It says that it was created/updated by "Morgan". Anyone know who this is?

(There's also a much older, more simple FS with 3DPoints in the title that just takes a list of coordinates and creates points)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @S1mon That's me 😉 
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    That FeatureScript was pretty much just created, then forgotten about. I don't actually use it myself, so I haven't kept it updated very well. But either way, improvement requests for it are welcome. 
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Ultimately what I'd like to see is a native feature for creating 3D Points which is a bit of a combination of the @Evan_Reese and @MBartlett21 FeatureScripts (I should put this into an Improvement request). 

Part of the challenge is that points are only so useful in and of themselves. Typically they're used as the basis for other features, and there's not a clean way to stack up features parametrically like there is in Grasshopper. It would be great to add a lot of niceties to ways of specifying points and then have that available in any feature which needs points (e.g. Freeform Spline).
    @S1mon
    So what you are wanting is basically a bit like Onshape's Mate Connector feature being able to be used inside other features that use mate connectors.

IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @MBartlett21

Yes. To build on that example, ideally the mate connector feature (and its use inside other features) would be even more powerful than it is. Mate connectors, planes (and coordinate systems) are basically defined all the same way inside of Onshape, yet the tools for creating MCs and planes are different. Other people have built custom features to define MCs and planes in more powerful ways, yet they are still missing from Onshape. A simple example is an MC normal to the end of a curve.

I have an IR about selection filters which is somewhat related to this. In an ideal world, there would be one feature or block or whatever we want to call it, which would be a super flexible/powerful way to create/select points, and this tool could be used to drive anything which needs a series of points.

Instead, each tool which needs a bunch of points has slightly different ways to create them. Both you and Evan have points along edges/curves based on a parameter. Your tool has an option to create a point a certain physical distance from an end. His has a face reference option (based on U/V).