Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to extrude from object to object?

a_d180a_d180 Member Posts: 4
I have a sketch, a face, and an edge - top to bottom:
-----edge------
-----face-------
-----sketch----
How do I extrude a sketch profile from the face to the edge?

I'm moving from Fusion 360 where I can extrude from object to object, and I use this feature a lot.

Best Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Answer ✓
    First direction to edge, second direction to face (may need to flip direction)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    @a_d180

For the edge, you could pick an end point of that edge, similar to how I picked a point in this GIF

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Answer ✓
    First direction to edge, second direction to face (may need to flip direction)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    @a_d180

For the edge, you could pick an end point of that edge, similar to how I picked a point in this GIF

• a_d180a_d180 Member Posts: 4
    @NeilCooke, @steve_shubin Thank you for quick answers.

As I understand, this trick is just a workaround, because I cannot use it when I need to extrude from face to edge in both directions (say, symmetrically), right?
    Also, it's quite mind breaking to extrude to the farthest object first and then reverse the direction to the nearest one.
    @a_d180

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/aea362ca8515d5df615f2373/w/d6e12faf396f5c2872b93460/e/fa6cf586f660814108f246a3

You said —

Extrude face to edge, in both directions

So I’m guessing you mean extrude up to a face in the positive Z direction. And then extrude in the negative Z down to something like an edge

So this would be an extrusion going in opposite directions

For this, take a look at the Part Studio titled Both Directions. See if this is what you were looking for

You mentioned Symmetry. So let me give you an example of an extrusion that is symmetric about a point or about a face, but not symmetric about the sketch that is being extruded

And for that, look at the next part studio — the one that says Symmetry.

I extruded up to a point and then I offset in the positive Z. And then for the second part of the extrude, I extruded up to that same point again, but this time I offset the same amount, but in the opposite direction, along the negative Z. So I ended up with a part that is symmetric about a point or face, other than that of the sketch that is being extruded

As far as the arrows showing the first and second directions of the extrude. Just drag the arrows roughly where you want them. Then start to do some input.

Sometimes, as soon as you start to do some numerical input, the arrows flip. And you may have to drag the arrows again to roughly where you want. And then you should be able to either select a face or vertex, or a part, or key in a distance. Do this for a while and this will help you to get the hang of how those arrows work