Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Changing minor axis of ellipse

uli_thielscheruli_thielscher Member Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Community Support
Hi,
is there a way to change the minor axis? Only could scale the ellipse afterwards.
Thanks
Uli

Best Answer

Answers

• dbaardadbaarda Member Posts: 9
    How do you dimension the angle of the major (or minor) axis? I eventually figured this out myself but I couldn't find docs on this.

1. Put a horizontally or vertically constrained construction line through the centre of the ellipse.

2. Put a diameter or radius construction line on the ellipse's major axis. When you select the line tool a square box will appear when you are pointing at the apex of the major or minor axis on the ellipse edge and starting/ending the line in that box will constrain the end there. You can put the construction line from apex-to-apex across the ellipse diameter, or from apex-to-center for the ellipse radius.

3. Put an angle dimension between the horizontal/vertical and major-axis construction lines. Select the dimension tool and click on each line (ignoring the length dimension that will appear after selecting the first line) and then click where you want to put the angle dimension.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    dbaarda said:
    How do you dimension the angle …
    You did good work in figuring out how to get that angular dimension !!

Here’s a couple more ways ——

You could dimension off of the EDGE of a plane or face

Or you could dimension FROM WITHIN THE FIELD of a plane or face