Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Some Imported Parts Partially Colored, Edit Appearance No Effect

ben_harkinben_harkin Member Posts: 8 EDU
I'm importing some STEP files and have found that some parts are partially another color than that in "Edit Appearance" and that changing edit appearance has no effect on the color. In the features list, "Import" is not red.

The entire part should be green. Document link

Best Answers

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    @ben_harkin
    I don't understand why this is happening for sure, however, as a workaround, you can box select then RMB and apply an appearance to all faces. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    It's not a bug, it is working as intended. The faces have assigned colours in the STEP file and Onshape is honouring them, however there is a technical reason (which I can't remember what it is) that prevents us from displaying them in the appearance panel.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    @ben_harkin
    I don't understand why this is happening for sure, however, as a workaround, you can box select then RMB and apply an appearance to all faces. 
  • ben_harkinben_harkin Member Posts: 8 EDU
    Thanks, that works. However it does seem like a kind of bug.
    Answer ✓
    It's not a bug, it is working as intended. The faces have assigned colours in the STEP file and Onshape is honouring them, however there is a technical reason (which I can't remember what it is) that prevents us from displaying them in the appearance panel.
  • lukas_szwugierlukas_szwugier Member Posts: 8 PRO
    If you need to add appearance to import, and you need one color for it, you may add appearance to feature.
    It will change color for complete import. :)
  • Isaac_W_BaerIsaac_W_Baer Member Posts: 9 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    If the face appearances can't be displayed in the appearance panel, does that mean there's no way to remove them?
    You can override them, but not remove IIRC
  • Mark_HooperMark_Hooper Member Posts: 2
    So I'm having the same issues. 
    I have an imported part that is a sheet metal model. All of the bent edges and edges that aren't part of the flat pattern have a color assigned to those faces when imported using the derived feature.

So great, it's working as intended. It's honoring the arbitrary face colors that are in the imported file. 

There needs to be a way to modify or delete what are effectively face appearances being applied to my model that I have zero control over besides going back to the company that I got the model from and get them to export it again.

Sure. I can add my own face appearances, but there's no way to get those to change if I want to use configurations to change my part color.

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    @Mark_Hooper
    Have you tried unchecking the new "import face appearances" checkbox?

Also if you want to configure appearances it's a lot easier to manage using something like the "part color" FS: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d997b0ffc30f659113b10c00/v/a9e4f209775174dbb9f2b5fa/e/b6db0c9545b9a2df1d7ea546?jumpToIndex=828