Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet Metal Model - Curved Surface

james_bonneyjames_bonney Member Posts: 10

I started making a geometrically abstracted fire hydrant out of surfaces. I simplified the form with the intent of creating a sheet metal model and a flat pattern. BUUT The curved surfaces do not want to participate in the sheet metal model. (The green surfaces are all independent of the larger sections of the model - thought that might be a work around, by reducing complexity?)

I have done some searching in the forum, but can't seem to find an answer that will help me make progress with this project as it is currently modeled. I know there are limitation to the sheet metal model script, but I thought it would be able to flatten a constant curve between two parallel edges.

Best Answers

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You modeled the curved sections with a loft, which is not something that can be "unfolded".
    You should be able to create something very similar using a "revolve" instead (and a trimming the sides from a top view so it tapers). That should be able to unfold.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to achieve using loft you need to use a lot of straight sections since there is not a loft feature yet.

I was able to get a dome shape and flat pattern and of course the smaller and more polygon/straight sections you use the smother it gets.

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    @james_bonney

Here's what I was talking about earlier if you still want a smooth curve in one direction, each "face" of the model is in one piece:

Example:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/48d7af2191404e92b462e545/w/8579c20516af667fc300207c/e/b18400678a37dda9fa1ce577

• james_bonneyjames_bonney Member Posts: 10
    Thanks! @eric_pesty That is a key piece of information I was unaware of and your example is great! It's exactly what I was hoping to achieve.

Thanks! @b@bryan_lagrange This is a good solution in an instance where a loft is absolutely necessary.