Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to unlink an assembly imported from a different document

In the assembly on my main document for the project I had imported assemblies from other documents. However, it is getting tedious to update the version each time someone changes something on one of the “side” documents. Is it possible to unlink the assemblies so they are now part of the “main” document and changes are instant?

Answers

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    If I understand your question correctly, the only way to have an assembly reference the Main workspace of a document (and thus have those live updates) is to have the assembly and the referenced part studio in the same document. So if you combined all the side documents into your main document, you could then reference the Main workspace of those components. Obviously then you lose some flexibility in version management. Currently you can version each side document every time you have a stable and complete update. After combining, you would only really want to version when the entire assembly is stable.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Yes, you can move those side assy's into a single document. The issue with that is if there are many part studios and many assemblies in one document, it can slow down the document performance. You get one "cloud" computing resource for each document.

You can also "pin" the linked assemblies. Then they will be locked to whichever version you like. I use this if a team member is making constant changes on another subassy in another document, and I don't want to be bothered with them until its much further along.