Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Degree 1 bSplineSurface?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
Is there a fundamental reason we can't make a degree 1 bSplineSurface? It could be handy to make some interesting faceted designs. It works in Rhino, and gives the result on the right.
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    So in this case, Rhino is sampling the surface on the left to get points which are theoretically a series of knots in a degree-1 B-Splines (basically making a bunch of poly lines). 

How are you trying to construct the b-splines to build the b-splinesurface? Are you generating the sampled points?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I've not really started anything. I was just curious if it would work and found that for b-spline curves and surfaces in Onshape the minimum degree is 2 and wondered why. For my test, I just started with a grid of points and was able to generate degree 2+ surfaces, but get an error at degree 1.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    Interesting. You've probably seen this, but you can create degree-1 Béziers in sketcher (it will even let you make things parallel or perpendicular to them!).

It's unfortunate if you can't make a degree -1 surface. Of course you could make degree-2 curves (which are still lines) by adding a control points midway between the endpoints.

Are you trying to do this as one multi-span b-spline surface, or are you ok with making 64 surfaces and boolean-ing them together?
  • Options
    I'm not really trying to do anything in particular. I just thought it would be cool if it were possible, since I could use it to easily make something like a faceted loft tool, or a way to convert existing faces to a faceted version. If it can't be done this way, I don't expect to pursue it much more at the moment.