Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Loft with guide and path making a weird wave

WaldPinklerWaldPinkler Member Posts: 25 EDU
Why is loft doing this crazy s#$%?

I could draw a nonplanar path for the top but I thought it would be easy enough as one solid piece.

(The model)

Here is the loft with the base curve to fit to.

If I add guides, the top doesn't follow.

A path gets the general idea right but I can't use 2 paths.

Combining both makes a weird wave.

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I would try adding 1 or 2 or maybe 3 intermediate cross-sections, or consider creating guides for all the edges.

If you really aren't sure what those missing edges should look like, you might try lofting just a face at a time. Keep in mind that lofting from one straight line to another with one guide curve will give a different result than lofting the curve with two straight guides. You may like one better than the other. Once you've got the missing edges, you can loft that face, and then create the flat ends (use offset of 0 with the sketch, or create a fill surface).
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    Sorry ....that's Reese not Reece....apologies
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    GWS50 said:
    Sorry ....that's Reese not Reece....apologies
    ouch! my feelings!  :D jk thanks for the plug.

I messed with it and found that Simon's suggestion is best. I did separate lofts. If you need more control, then making a guide for each corner with freeform spline (or any other way you like) would be what you need. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/24f49100190c77289e7761df/w/7cd885f7dab14f951602271c/e/55e73bffa89321fe6279152b
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Here's a link to another version. 

It's not very well documented, but a couple key points:
    1. Loft (and sweep) are not great at knowing how to make things that look good, especially when they have to make up a lot of stuff. I ended up building the top curves (sketch 6+7).
    2. In many situations, it's important for the curves to be built in a similar way so that the parameterization isn't all warped. Sketch 6+7 use the same type of splines with parallel tangents, similar weights and the through points are placed to make a visually similar pseudo-offset of the "Top - curve path" splines.
    3. Even with the similarity, some cross curves are helpful to give loft an idea of what to do (sketch 2 locates the cross sections, sketch 3+4 are the cross sections, using pierce relationships).
    4. The top curves (sketch 6+7) could be completely 3D, but many curves that look good on cars and other very swoopy 3D objects, are actually 2D, but just at some weird angle. This is important so that as you rotate the object around in 3D, there's never a view where the curve wiggles in an ugly way. I constructed the planes (3+4) for sketches 6+7 using a helper sketch (#1). (When 3D curves are truly 3D they often keep the tightest parts of the curve 2D and twist along straighter sections of the curve or where there are inflections)
    5. I tried lofting the whole shape in 1 go, but even with the added cross sections, loft twists things too much. Instead I lofted the 3D faces individually as surfaces. Then I enclosed those with some sketch faces to make a solid.

• Options
    Thanks, sometimes I think things should be simpler than they are. I drew the top and side guides then a ruled surface and a projected curve to get the 3d curve. All good and more control.
  • Options
    This is just for fun modelling my own yacht. 4 guides works just fine although a bit more work.

This is the basic stern.