Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Antenna cable coil

alex_hill864alex_hill864 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Evening, I'm looking for a bit of help with a cable coil. The part below has a coil of coaxial cable on it as part of an antenna system. The coil needs roughly 8 turns to reach its optimum.

The problem is I'm not sure how to blend the cable 'groove' I made using the helix tool so that the cable can be fed through a raised feature.Roughly shown below.

Just wondering how this might be done. I'm probably not asking right questions to identify the tool or method so could do with a bit of help please. The public file is here if you needed to see what I'd done so far.

thanks

Alex

Best Answers

• Options
    dave_lapthornedave_lapthorne Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 14
    Answer ✓
    You'll want to use a sweep operation to create the turn in your cable groove.

Sweep (onshape.com)
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Looks like the curve used to make the  turn may not be set to well, Make sure it's normal to the end of spiral and follows through to the inside of the part, Should be able to select the curve with the spiral for one clean sweep.

Answers

• Options
    dave_lapthornedave_lapthorne Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 14
    Answer ✓
    You'll want to use a sweep operation to create the turn in your cable groove.

Sweep (onshape.com)
  • Options
    Thanks Dave. I'd had a go with sweep and maybe I'm not getting the point but I adjusted the helix to give me an end point to sweep and then tried it and it went a bit wrong. I guess its just my understanding of sweep. I'll have a play about to try and get it right. Thanks

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Looks like the curve used to make the  turn may not be set to well, Make sure it's normal to the end of spiral and follows through to the inside of the part, Should be able to select the curve with the spiral for one clean sweep.
  • Options
    Solved. thanks

Its not perfect because the curve isn't quite right but I get the principal now so can play around to get it right