Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use a formula as a measurement or derived

Brad_GoodmanBrad_Goodman Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I am building this weird thing - and longs story short - I need to calculate the number of objects in a circular pattern in a sketch, from measurements which come from another sketch.

Its super that I can create a "derived" variable from one of the measurements - but the problem is I need to specify the "multplier" field for the circular pattern tool as an integer - so the number I need to enter is:

round(#dia/pi*#space/in)

(The final "in" being used to make it unitless).

This works - but it resolves to the exact VALUE in the field - i.e. it does not change if any of those variables change - and when I go back to edit it - it's just the numeric value that it calculated.

Same goes for if I try to make this number a derived variable.

Any idea how I can do this?

Best Answer

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    Answer ✓
    No, sketch patterns can not be controlled by variables on on shape unfortunately...
    The best workaround is to use a feature pattern instead, which can be driven by variables.
    If you can't just create an extrude (or whatever feature you want) independently, you can use a sketch to define the first instance and pattern that or you can also create a surface entity of the shape you want and pattern that (you can use it pretty much like a sketch).

Answers

• Options
    Edit - It appears to let me do it in a derived - but not let me use this value in the Circular Pattern field as the muliplier ...????
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    Answer ✓
    No, sketch patterns can not be controlled by variables on on shape unfortunately...
    The best workaround is to use a feature pattern instead, which can be driven by variables.
    If you can't just create an extrude (or whatever feature you want) independently, you can use a sketch to define the first instance and pattern that or you can also create a surface entity of the shape you want and pattern that (you can use it pretty much like a sketch).

• Options
    Yep. Thanks. I did as below where "dia3" is a measurement - which I then used in in #ct3 to calculate the number - which was then used as the "instances" parameter in "Circular Pattern" - works great!