Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export Sketch Lines with Part Studio Parts?

anddy_archeranddy_archer Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I'm going to guess this isn't possible, but I need to export some 3D lines from a sketch with a part--they will be axes for rotations in an external application.

I'd rather not have to make more post processing (which can get buggy) that will extract edges from a surface, but that's what I'll do if there isn't a better way.

If I can't export the lines, anyone have ideas on how to best export that data other than what I proposed above?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• anddy_archeranddy_archer Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think I just realized that there is a "curved line" feature, and I could use my points and not have to make it curved. Phew, learn something new that's been under your nose every day sometimes.  Your non-negative response got me to think about it a bit more.  Thanks!

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    In other contexts, IGES supports lines where STEP does not. Normally I prefer Parasolid over STEP over IGES, but this case I might try IGES. I don't know if this is true for Onshape. Without knowing your other application, it's not 100% possible to know what will translate and what won't. These kinds of things can also be version dependent.
    That sounds interesting.  I don't see the Lines like surfaces in the parts list.  So, I don't know how it knows to export them even.  Is there a way to "officalize" a line/wire?
    Answer ✓
    I think I just realized that there is a "curved line" feature, and I could use my points and not have to make it curved. Phew, learn something new that's been under your nose every day sometimes.  Your non-negative response got me to think about it a bit more.  Thanks!