Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New FeatureScript Weld

emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in FeatureScript
We would like to introduce you a new FeatureScript that @mbartlett21 and I have created
FeatureScript Weld
This custom feature creates welds using the user’s selection.
It currently supports fillet welds and many types of butt welds.

Something I think Onshape people will like to know is that Morgan @mbartlett21 and I do not know each other. We have never seen each other in real life or online, we have not heard our voices and we are even literally in the antipodes of this precious connected planet, Australia and Spain.
Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                     Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Comments

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    So cool to see collaboration work across the world! Awesome job on the FS!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Great feature!  I imagine some of the inspiration came from @urszula_wachulska's weld? https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10450/welds-custom-feature-script

The collaboration aspect is wonderful as well -- the world gets smaller one feature at a time :)
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    nice job guys
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @ilya_baran You are right!!. The idea of create this collaboration project in FeatureScript came from the @urszula_wachulska's weld Feature as you can see here 

But the code is new and we are 
    not using code from nDraft. as you can see in this GitHub PR.

Fortunately, @urszula_wachulska has also participated in the project, as you can see in this issue of GitHub, although she has not participated in the code, which is why she does not appear in the copyright.

By the way, many thanks to @urszula_wachulskafor her advice and information.

This project is open to anyone who wants to collaborate, there is already an open issue with the points to add in version 2

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @emagdalenaC2i
    @mbartlett21
    @urszula_wachulska

Great Job! A wonderful collaborative effort.
  • sharjeel_faizsharjeel_faiz Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for creating this feature. It is indeed useful.
    Will FS weld create a V butt weld on two cylinders [two different parts]

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sharjeel_faiz I think it is possible, but please share a document to know exactly what do you want
    Un saludo,

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    wow! all stops out on this one!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • paul_masserpaul_masser Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Great feature that I've just come to use. Can I ask if intermittent welds are a possible enhancement?
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Great feature that I've just come to use. Can I ask if intermittent welds are a possible enhancement?
    I was just ready to ask this myself! I have started using this feature script and boy, oh boy does this have potential. With a few changes, I feel like we could use the weld feature script + Publications to totally eliminate the need for weld drawings on the shop floor!

The main changes I would need are (in order):
    • addition of stitch welding (intermittent).
    • partial weld distance (this could work similar to the recently released partial flange or partial fillet features)
    • butt welding on an in-context part studio.
    • the icing on the cake would be the ability to wrap welds around the ends of plate. I have gotten into some scenarios where the current feature script doesn't do so well near tube radii and the ends of plates.
    Overall I am really impressed with this script! I can literally detail out the welds in 3D faster than I can mark up a 2D drawing. And the downstream efficiency of training is night and day compared to looking at 2D print!
    I'm glad you like this FeatureScript

@MBartlett21 and I shared the code for this FeatureScript on Github https://github.com/mbartlett21/weld-featurescript and for version 2 some of these options were indicated. See https://github.com/mbartlett21/weld-featurescript/issues/53

Actually you can use this FeatureScript in an in-context part studio
    Un saludo,

• Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Actually you can use this FeatureScript in an in-context part studio
    Perhaps I am missing something but the scenario I have here is a butt weld needed between this tube and plate. Both parts are part of the context's assembly and cannot be modified from here. In fact, we wouldn't want any modification to the parts as this isn't what is considered a prepared joint. The weld is simply laid down on top of the joint.

Here I modeled something sort of crude for what I am envisioning with a butt weld. And then getting the fillet weld to join nicely with the butt weld? THAT would be amazing.

See this example...

Un saludo,

• AnteAnte Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

This is one neat FS with a lot of potential! 

I have two questions:

1.  Is there an option to make offset in respect to center of material thickness, of for example "V-Butt weld"?
    2.  Is there an option to combine for examples "V-Butt weld" and "Bevel Butt"?  One on one side of the plate, and one on the another.

Ante said:
    1.  Is there an option to make offset in respect to center of material thickness, of for example "V-Butt weld"?
    I don't know if I understood you correctly. 
    Would it be something similar to this? You can set the Root gap manually

Ante said:
    2.  Is there an option to combine for examples "V-Butt weld" and "Bevel Butt"?  One on one side of the plate, and one on the another.
    I think so. Try Other side option
    You can also play with the Root gap in both sides

Un saludo,

• AnteAnte Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

This is one neat FS with a lot of potential! 

I've got only a question:
    Is there an option to make offset in respect to center of material thickness?
    This is greatly needed for thicker materials joint design, as they are not symmetrical through thickness most of the time.

• kevin_mason558kevin_mason558 Member Posts: 46 EDU
    i never knew about this and wanted to use a visual representation on my drawings for customers 
    i created a frame profile that i was going to use

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4fcf33de1f152e785f31347e/w/f8702f3742da8dc95c06b42b/e/225463a52b1d6042fd1acc23?configuration=List_oltaa6HRMR90ya=Default&renderMode=0&uiState=640e0c3ebd12d07f312b05ad

ill need to look into how to use yours
    thanks