Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to export out of Onshape into Unity - no UVs - no way to add materials?

Howdy folks - 

I am trying to use Unity to allow me to do some VR visualization of my Onshape models. To get 3D parts into Unity I am exporting out of Onshape using a .obj file format (which Unity accepts).  However when the file is opened in unity there is no way to add materials to it properly. In debugging this with the Unity forum it appears as if the Onshape .obj file translations do not have any UV coordinates meaning (from what I understand) there is no way for Unity to map a material properly.  

I created a simple cube in Onshape - exported it using a .obj and opened the file using a text editor - indeed there are no UV coordinates (prefixed with a VT). 

I did the same experiment in Fusion360 and a simple cube exported cleanly with UV coordinates and I was able to apply a texture.  

Unfortunately pretty limiting for me - I hate to abandon Onshape but i'm on the verve of doing so. As an ex Solidworks user the ability to visualize models in VR was a nice tool. Unless I'm missing something I'm not seeing a way to do this with Onshape currently.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 104
    Is glTF an option for you? We added UV texture information for glTF export in release 1.157 (Dec 12)
  • Options
    mathéo_bonnefoymathéo_bonnefoy Member Posts: 3
    GregBrown said:
    Is glTF an option for you? We added UV texture information for glTF export in release 1.157 (Dec 12)

Hi I will answer since i tried, yes glTF does gives the UV all tho it's all mess up no consistancy in proportions ...

And when I try to force UV's unwrap it seam there is no connection between faces that are curved for example:

Here is how it should be unwraped for example:

I would greatly apreciate if you have another answer to this problem since it woul be such a great tool if we coul in fact do that all at once since it's quite time consuming to remake all the faces one by one btw if we can do it in the creat render studio why cant we export the uv maps it's sad..