Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Replicating a Surface...

Hello Community - I'm looking for help in the design of a "cupola" for my model railway station.  The cupola is octagonal and I have managed to get so far with it.  However, I am unsure as to how to get the octagonal "bell-shape" at the top.  In my design : InverurieStation_Cupola_Top you will see that I have made a SURFACE for one of the 8 panels.
My question is: How do I replicate it to the other faces?
Or maybe my question should be: Is this the best way to do this or is there a better alternative?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance and advice to this 'newbie'.

Best Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,069 PRO
    Answer ✓
    you could also just sweep it. If you have a profile curve for the shape, use that as the profile and the octagonal lines as the path. Sweep will handle the mitering. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2979fe9d1bd93fb15470423b/w/0afe9c7ca05a365c677b8a73/e/945f6630fcfac22e099eb59a
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Actually, looking at that tower more, you could do pretty much the whole thing as a single sweep, then add cutouts for the archways, and model the columns which can both be replicated with a circular pattern.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    The feature list can be pretty durn short

Answers

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited February 2023
    The circular pattern tool will do this!

You'll just have to select the surface to pattern and the center axis of the pattern, and set the angle to 360deg and instance count to 8.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    you could also just sweep it. If you have a profile curve for the shape, use that as the profile and the octagonal lines as the path. Sweep will handle the mitering. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2979fe9d1bd93fb15470423b/w/0afe9c7ca05a365c677b8a73/e/945f6630fcfac22e099eb59a
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Actually, looking at that tower more, you could do pretty much the whole thing as a single sweep, then add cutouts for the archways, and model the columns which can both be replicated with a circular pattern.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    The feature list can be pretty durn short

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,739 PRO

I did not know sweep could handle an octagon like that. Cool!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,552 PRO
    Yeah I would not have thought to try a sweep for this! That's why I love lurking around here and seeing threads like these!
  • Options
    david_murphy384david_murphy384 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone for your input - MUCH appreciated!
  • Options
    Oh nice! Glad that helped some folks. @MichaelPascoe I figured that's how your pattern and sweep feature was working the whole time, but maybe you're sweeping each edge individually in a loop, which also works.