Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fillet in active sheet metal

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 411 PRO
edited February 2023 in General
Hi yall,
why cant I create a fillet in an active sheet metal?
Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter

Best Answers

Answers

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Where are you trying add fillets on your sheet metal parts?
    Against a bend, OS doesn't know what to do.
    If in flat view OS may be trying add material for an inside radius. Doesn't work. Only subtract in flat view.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/eeff86f87f2b3be9ae6915b8/w/c75821c5084576f01fba38b9/e/1cea5dc353dd578472a69be2

• Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 411 PRO
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Ah ok I got it... you have to set the fillet-setting to "Distance"
    The default is set to "curvature" (Krümmung)

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,771 PRO
    The fillet type remembers the "last used" setting, this is actually one place where I wish it didn't as I might use a different fillet once in a while but the next time I try to use the command it's all weird until I notice it's not set to "radius"!
    It should always default to radius!
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,808 PRO
    I wish that the fillet tool would remember this setting for a short period of time, perhaps only if you create another fillet right after the previous. It's definitely caught me off guard a few times the way it is now, but there are times when I'm creating several width fillets in a row and like it to remember that.

There are other tools which I wish would have defaults which made more sense for the scale of object. On something small and hand-held, the default extrude distance is often too much, and the default is even more absurd for move boundary.

The opposite is true if you're working on something the size of a car or architectural.
    Good point, maybe these "remembered" settings should just be for the "session" or something like this? i.e. next time you login it's back to "default"?
    I don't think per "document" would be very useful, but by "tab" would could be a good alternative as well.
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 411 PRO
    The fillet type remembers the "last used" setting, this is actually one place where I wish it didn't as I might use a different fillet once in a while but the next time I try to use the command it's all weird until I notice it's not set to "radius"!
    It should always default to radius!

Yeah thats kinda confusing.
    Good point, maybe these "remembered" settings should just be for the "session" or something like this? i.e. next time you login it's back to "default"?
    I don't think per "document" would be very useful, but by "tab" would could be a good alternative as well.

Per session is a very good idea in my opinion.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 858 PRO
    It would be nice if all features remembered your last settings by checking a box. Like every feature had a check box "remember settings". If unchecked, the settings always go back to default. This would be great if you know your about do a repetitive task and you want your settings to be remembered only for that time. I'm not sure this could be implemented very easily though because I don't think the feature level scripting that controls the remember option can change dynamically. Has to be hard coded and cannot be driven. I think.
    It would be nice if all features remembered your last settings by checking a box. Like every feature had a check box "remember settings". If unchecked, the settings always go back to default. This would be great if you know your about do a repetitive task and you want your settings to be remembered only for that time. I'm not sure this could be implemented very easily though because I don't think the feature level scripting that controls the remember option can change dynamically. Has to be hard coded and cannot be driven. I think.
    That's a good idea too. I don't think it can be implemented "as is" (i.e. with the current use accessible Featurescript) because the remember setting is a "UIHint" so you would have to create a different input.
    It might actually work somewhat if you mapped either one to the same variable after but there might be some complications with manipulators etc...

That said I'm sure they could add "in the background". Maybe even add different "UIHint" options for persistent/session/user (i.e. checkbox), etc...