Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

THREAD CREATOR

geoff_medcraftgeoff_medcraft OS Professional Posts: 3 PRO
I am a keen amateur in Cad and use it for 3d printing.     I have just used Thread Creator for the first time and it was a good experience, but I am interested in other thread forms such as BSP british standard pipe based on a Whitworth form, I am searching a solution to providing this form as thread creator does not presently have it an an option.  Any ideas or advice please. Geoff

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited March 2017
    Hi

**Edit - Sorry, just seen you posted this in the featurescript forum so most of what I said is no use.  Sorry.

My take on this:-

(1) Don't take this the wrong way but do you really need the actual thread?  I got a bit carried away with threads when I started but now only really use a hole with the pilot drill diameter for internal threads, and tap them after 3D printing, or use a captive metal nut within the print.  Actaully modeling the threads itself can generate more geometry than all the rest of the parts combined, which does not help performance...

(2) If the above isn't appropriate then for the purposes of 3D printing then there are a couple of options.  One is to download an existing model that already has this thread and boolen subtract it from your part (from the free online parts lists in the app store, or GrabCad for example), another is to build the geometry from scratch with a sweep along a helix.

(3) Featurescript lends itself to this.  Depending on whether you like writing code you could create your own feature to do this, or solicit some help from the forum / staff here.  Also @dave_cowden knows his stuff here.  He might be open to updating his stuff.  He's a pro looking to write and sell such plug-ins...

Cheers, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • geoff_medcraftgeoff_medcraft OS Professional Posts: 3 PRO
    thanks very much for the replies much appreciated.  Dave I will wait out  for the update I like the format of the the thread creator  regards Geoff 
  • Stephen_BlizzardStephen_Blizzard Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Hi Dave,

I tried to create an NPT internal thread and it failed. The name generation failed also. I then tried to create a parallel internal thread and it failed again. Name generation worked that time though. Any tips / solutions for tapered threads? I have the tapered hole modeled. If I could create a tapered helix I would cut it myself. 

I have the tapered hole modeled. If I could create a tapered helix I would cut it myself.
    Hi.  Not sure if Dave's around any more. :'(

However the helix tool should have no problem using a conical surface as a build reference:-

Hope that helps,
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I'm still around! I haven't done featurescript development in a while, but I still keep up with things. 
    Hi all, I'm still around! I haven't done featurescript development in a while, but I still keep up with things. 

Most excellent :+1:
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Dave,
    If you are the creator of the feature script "Thread Creator (FeatureScript 422)" then I have two things for you.
    1) This is a great script and I very much appreciate you creating it.
    2) If you ever get around to working on it again I would like to request an option to make the angle of the threads 45 degrees instead of 60 degrees so I can 3D print them without needing support material.

Thank you again for this wonderful script.

Rex
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Rex! 
    thank you for the kind words! indeed, i'm the guilty party for this script!

i have been tracking feature requests, and i think this one is actually already on the list. a related request is to make buttress threads, which also dont require support.

if i ever do get back to developing Onshape scripts, i'll make sure this is on the list!