Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

derived sketch on another sketch , no transform

JaimeeowJaimeeow Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
i want to make a sketch in one part studio for like a tube steel or maybe a custom shape
i want this part studio to control the profile across all part studios
then in various other part studios i want to sketch the shapes to sweep it along
the only way i know of to bring that sketch into another part studio is through the derived tool
the only way i know how to move a derived object is with transform
but transform only works on objects, not sketches.
is there another solution? see screenshots
the main goal is to allow this sketch to be used and swept in many models but i only have to go to one place if i want to update the sketch and it will update everywhere.
the limitations on what i can do here are very frustrating.
if i just copy the sketch in, well then it won't update everywhere i copied it if i were to go to the original sketch and update it.
no, i don't want to use the variable tables, because i want to be able to update more than just dimensions. what if i want to add a new line or arc to the sketch entirely? or change the shape, not just a dimension?

Best Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Answer ✓
    Use the Frame tool which will do exactly what you are asking. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Alternatively, use Super Derive which allows you to position derived things with mate connectors. I can't remember how this works with sketches, but you can always make a flat surface in your parent part, and super derive that where you want it, and then use edges to copy the outline into a new sketch. 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    NeilCooke said:
    🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯
    i feel so dumb
    it has a whole library of actual standard shapes
    thank you 😭
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @Jaimeeow

The frame tool is definitely the right option for this but here are two other options worth mentioning if anyone is looking to do something similar (but a bit different):
    - The Transform pattern feature lets you move/copy sketches as an alternate to the superderive (i.e. if you already have the sketch in your part studio), also useful tool in general for any "irregular pattern" needs...
    - The Pattern and sweep gives you more control than the frame tool if you want to sweep one profile around multiple paths, including the ability to orient each one separately though mate connectors, it's a very powerful feature!

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Answer ✓
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Alternatively, use Super Derive which allows you to position derived things with mate connectors. I can't remember how this works with sketches, but you can always make a flat surface in your parent part, and super derive that where you want it, and then use edges to copy the outline into a new sketch. 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    NeilCooke said:
    🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯
    i feel so dumb
    it has a whole library of actual standard shapes
    thank you 😭
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @Jaimeeow

The frame tool is definitely the right option for this but here are two other options worth mentioning if anyone is looking to do something similar (but a bit different):
    - The Transform pattern feature lets you move/copy sketches as an alternate to the superderive (i.e. if you already have the sketch in your part studio), also useful tool in general for any "irregular pattern" needs...
    - The Pattern and sweep gives you more control than the frame tool if you want to sweep one profile around multiple paths, including the ability to orient each one separately though mate connectors, it's a very powerful feature!