Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Update: Super Derive with mate connectors

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
edited November 2022 in FeatureScript
I just pushed an update to the excellent Super Derive feature by @ilya_baran with 2 new options:
  1. Use origin - on by default, will use the origin of the Part Studio as before. Turned off, will use the first mate connector of the first derived part.
  2. Include mate connectors - off by default, will not derive the part's mate connectors as before. Turned on, will derive mate connectors AND add the mate connectors to the resultant part if add/remove/intersect are used. This means that merged parts will inherit the derived mate connectors which will then appear in further derives or assembly instances. Use origin and Include mate connectors are NOT mutually exclusive.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfef86ed4f9635531599a973
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Cool options. Already love that feature!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Why not make it so that mate connectors in the derived part other than the first one could be selected? I could see that being really helpful.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @S1mon couldn’t think of a good UI for it. Considered the mate connector quadrant icon but that only has 4 options (better than nothing). Didn’t want to have an integer input. Any ideas? Glad to add it but only if it makes sense. 
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @NeilCooke

I guess I was imagining something like the profile reference dots in the frame feature, but that only works if the MCs are locationally distinct enough.

Can you easily pull up the names of the MCs? It's not too crazy to expect that if, as a user, I want to pick a particular MC, I would be willing to name them in such a manner that I can pick the one I want.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited November 2022
    No can do - one of the frustrating limitations of custom features is that nothing exists until the feature regenerates so there is no way to get the MCs to allow selection of a name. The point manipulator could work - I'll have to try it.
    Kind of a kludge, but you could make another feature that goes in the source part studio at the end of the feature list, which creates a hidden variable containing a map with the MC names and coordinate systems (using a non-allowed character in the variable name like "@" hides it, but it still exists). From there you'd be able to make point manipulators in Super Derive. That might be taking it in too unintuitive of a direction though.
  • Taylor_NicholsonTaylor_Nicholson Member Posts: 5 PRO
    It seems that when inserting a part with a mate connectors, the mate connectors don't list independently in the feature tree. And don't hide/show when pressing 'k'. This is especially confusing when using super derive on a part with multiple mate connector. Is is possible to list the mate connectors in the tree?
    @Taylor_Nicholson
    This is the current standard behavior. You can click the eyeball next to the feature to hide or show them all, but that's it. I've requested the ability to expand and collapse features like a folder if they are creating several things at once like this. You can vote for it here.