Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Introducing Classes & Assignments

Hello instructor community!  As usual, the latest Onshape update is full of awesome improvements and new features.  But today’s update is particularly exciting for educators.  As of today, all Education Enterprise subscribers will see a big new feature called Classes & Assignments.

As a former STEM and CAD teacher, this is the feature I always dreamed of.  The goal is to make distributing and collecting student CAD assignments easier than ever before.  With Classes & Assignments, you can assign work to an entire class of students through Onshape with the push of a button.  And all of their work, as well as helpful analytics, is organized in a slick new interface.  Definitely go check it out!

If you have any questions, feedback, or ideas please reply to this post.  We can’t wait to hear from you.

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume this is a feature of the educational version only, or is it also included in Onshape Enterprise?

I would love to see a video on this new features.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 197 PRO
    Yes, this feature is for Education Enterprise only.  And for a full video description of the features, please check out this course in our Learning Center:
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/classes-assignments

• ed__charlwooded__charlwood Member Posts: 10
    This looks great Matt, it's like Google Classroom has come to Onshape. I am excited to try it once term resumes. 
  • matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    @ed__charlwood we're excited to hear what you think about Classes & Assignments! Please come back here if you have any questions or feedback on what can be improved.

I just wanted to mention here that this feature is not meant to be a full Learning Management System like Google Classroom, but only to help administer assignments and access student documents in Onshape. You will still need an LMS to keep track of grades and due dates, but you can use C&A in Onshape to provide instructions in a starter document for all of your students.
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Many thanks to Onshape for offering these new features. These will be so helpful to teachers and students. We all want students to have the best possible experience of learning CAD without the distractions of data management, software updates, and lacking a suitable workstations. I've watched many students struggling with crashing computers, upgrading their software, and file management. It is wonderful to focus on CAD and get students excited and confident in their ability to design.
  • sean_rastsmith154sean_rastsmith154 Member Posts: 4 EDU
    edited January 2023
    Trying to use this to let students start with a general file and make a copy of it. However, the Publish Assignment button is greyed out when I select a file. What settings do I need on the starter document for this?

Nevermind, I realized I needed to hit Apply, then Publish...   Long morning already...
  • Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    @sean_rastsmith154 Is the class published? The class has to be published before an assignment can be.

Also, if you haven't already I recommend taking a look at this short self-paced course on Classes and Assignments.
    As Domenico said, the Publish assignment button will be grayed out until the class is published.  Also, if you make any changes to the assignment, the Publish assignment button will be grayed out until you press the Apply button.  (that one got me).
  • steven_smitkasteven_smitka Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I'm looking into moving my school from Teams to Classes and was wondering if there's an option of after the part is correct, there's a way to mark is as complete. I see the submitted portion, but it would be great to add completed or something similar, unless I'm missing this step! 
  • matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    @steven_smitka great question. Unfortunately there is no way in Classes & Assignments to mark off that a submission has been graded or is complete. We decided to not include any sort of grading system in Onshape because most educators would use a Learning Management System for that, and we don't want you to keep track of grades in multiple places. That being said, I understand that it could be useful to keep track of which submission documents you've already checked within Onshape. We've heard similar requests from other educators, so will explore options for providing this kind of functionality.
  • steven_smitkasteven_smitka Member Posts: 2 EDU
    That's totally understandable with not having LMS capabilities with grades and such, but having a status change to completed would be a HUGE upgrade in this. 
  • marc_nelson875marc_nelson875 Member Posts: 4 EDU
    I really appreciate the Classes and assignments feature in Onshape Education Enterprise, which I have been using for a year now.  Several enhancements would benefit teachers specifically.

1. Ability to copy assignments to other classes 
    2. Ability to mark as completed/assessed/evaluated.
    3. Integrating "Submitted" with "Action Items" for teachers
    4. ***Dream Feature*** Integration with Google Classroom Assignments  (one can wish, right?)
    Hi @marc_nelson875.  Feedback from our educators in invaluable, so thank you!  A couple of these are in the works.  Stay tuned.