Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

using existing parts for a new part

doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
Hi,
I've got a bunch of small parts I getting printed at the library, so I have to work with their requirements.
they have a setup fee for each part, which I'd like to avoid.

Therefore, I would like to take a bunch of parts from more than one part studio, and move them into another part studio ( can be the same document, or another document), and assemble them on a flat plane, then create plastic ribbons to join them together, like a plastic model, so they will show up as one part. then after printing I can just trim away the ribbons, but it all gets printed in one setup.
Note: this is not an assembly, with connectors. I plan to merge all into one part.

my question is: How do I copy these parts into the new workspace, so I can merge them together in a different configuration from the way they were designed? And when I do that, will they be dimensionally connected to the original, for modifications?

Thanks for your help.

Best Answers

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm?Highlight=derive

And then use transform tool as needed to locate them relative to each other.
  • doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
    thank you

edited May 2023
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm?Highlight=derive

And then use transform tool as needed to locate them relative to each other.
    hi Eric, I've taken your great advice, and it all works, almost....
    here is the link to my combined workspace: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d7f2fab8f7c37bf43928ad17/w/e787440fe1af082586af7422/e/e6996adab9c5688046400aca

one of the "clamp halfs" won't merge. 
    first I used "transform" to create a copy of it, it did not merge.
    so I thought it's because it was linked back to the original part, and I could not merge it to itself.
    I created a "version" of it in the original document, and imported, via derive, a version 1, and a version 2. still won't merge.
    then I created a full copy of the whole workspace, and tried to import the second half from there. this is the existing layout.

still won't merge. you can see that there are two parts in the parts list, and I want only one.

Thanks in advance
    I'm not 100% sure why it's not allowing it as in theory it should work (I'm guessing the math behind the scene thinks there's a tiny gap between the two faces for some reason) but these kind of errors can usually be solved by intentionally adding some interference.
    In your extrude at the end just make sure to include the area that overlaps the clamp part and it works.

Hi Eric, now that you point it out, it works, but the original sketch is a simple rectangle, with overlap. OnShape split the sketch in two, so when I selected the sketch I didn't get all of it. The "gap" you referred to, would be due to the taper on the inside of the clamp. But its confusing, as the other half clamp worked fine.

Thanks again.

Answer ✓
    I didn't look closely and didn't see there was a taper so that makes sense!
    The split in the sketch is due to the "imprinting", see details here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch_basics.htm?Highlight=imprinting