Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch copy-extrude misalignment

thomas_holfordthomas_holford Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
This is in reference to document: Octagonal Pedestal - multipart

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28044d76fae64781bc7c9c46/w/f0b392a79f784531824bf25d/e/a228e5092b0f420ea9f87336

In Part Studio 1 of the reference document, I created a multi part sketch and extruded two types of parts in separate extrude operations.

I then copied and offset the plane of the sketch (Top Plane) creating Plane 1. Then I copied Sketch 1 and pasted it on Plane 1, creating Sketch 2.

When I selected and extruded corresponding parts in Sketch 2 to duplicate the parts created in Extrude 2, the newly created parts are slightly mis-aliigned with the Extrude 2 parts, and there is a visible gap between the Extrude 3 parts and the Extrude 1 "stringers".

I would have expected that the technique I used would have translated the parts in perfect alignment.  Am I expecting to much or is there a flaw in the technique or a bug in the software?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    thomas_holford , Whenever you copy and paste the sketch it will not comes as per your original sketch position.It maintains the profile not the position.
    Whenever you paste the sketch,It will matches sketch center to origin. 
  • Options
    Narayan_K said:
    thomas_holford , Whenever you copy and paste the sketch it will not comes as per your original sketch position.It maintains the profile not the position.
    Whenever you paste the sketch,It will matches sketch center to origin. 
    Is there a technique for precisely aligning identical sketches on parallel planes?
  • Options
    Narayan_K said:
    You can do one work around, create new sketch in parallel plane created and by the help of "Use" command you can project it. for quick and easy selection after selecting "use" click on sketch1 from model tree it will project all entity to of sketch1 to new plane.

Thank you.  It worked beautifully.

It's not very intuitive unless a person has some awareness and experience with the "use" command.

Another question: it looks like the "use" command will allow a sketch to be projected on a plane that is not parallel.  What techniques can be used for positioning or rotating a projected sketch on the new plane?
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    A different workflow for what you are trying to accomplish is not to draw at all the sketch in the parallel plane but use the mirror feature instead.

OSF.gif 860.9K
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Yes.  The mirror technique would do what I want and is probably a bit more intuitive than "use".

Ultimately, I want to have three or four rings, and I suppose that the better way would be to create multiple planes and use the "use" command.
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Also @thomas_holford your sketch 1 is all blue meaning is under constrained (https://cad.onshape.com/help/#troubleshooting.htm?Highlight=red), when you copy and paste a sketch you can position it accurately using constraints, in the case of your sketch as not being fully constrained this is what happens:

OSFA.gif 157.3K
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    You can constrain all sketch entity of sketch1 such that if we drag one point or line, profile should not be altered .so that after copying the sketch we can drag the sketch and constrain it with respect to  any point.
  • Options
    Narayan_K said:
    You can constrain all sketch entity of sketch1 such that if we drag one point or line, profile should not be altered .so that after copying the sketch we can drag the sketch and constrain it with respect to  any point.

Sketch1 appears to be constrained in many ways.  What additional constraint needs to be added to make the sketch fully defined?
  • Options
    Narayan_K said:
    Sketch1 is constrained in many ways.  What additional constraints are need to fully define the sketch?