Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to get consistent hatching?

emmanuel_dervieuxemmanuel_dervieux Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I have issues with hatching in a drawing. I imported a single part and made several section views of it. However, the hatching spacing seems to be quite random, and it is not the same amongst the different section views produced.

Even worse, if I right-click the different section views, go into "Edit hatch section..." and put a given scale (say 1.0 for instance), the hatching are not spaced of the same amount between the different views. The only workaround I found so far is to manually set random values, and then correct them visually by trial and error until it looks kinda ok.

For instance, in a given drawing, I had to put scales of 2.4, 1, and 0.6 in order for them to look identical. I do not know whether this is a bug (and where should I report it) or if I am doing something wrong. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 814 PRO
    I think the differing spacing is intentional.  Some time ago(more then a year I think) drawing got updated to have the hatch spacing change depending on the area of the surface they are covering.  I find it really good now compared to before but I do notice things looking a bit strange at times.
  • Options
    I understand why they put this "feature", but it seems that the automatically computed "best" hatch spacing is actually the baseline to which the scale factor is applied. Instead, it would be nice to be able to set an absolute hatch spacing (in mm or px, pt, etc.), because it really produces weird things:

Indeed, although I may admit that this automatic hatch spacing may be useful in certain circumstances, I do NOT find it appropriate at all for the above example. I would expect sections of the same part to have the exact same hatching! It just looks so weird...

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    What would make more sense is if the scale was absolute, but Onshape intelligently computed a recommended size based on the section details. If you had a case like this, you could override the value in one or both sections in order to make them match.
  • Options
    pmdpmd Member, Developers Posts: 63 PRO
    I also agree with the others - we were also surprised we cannot get different hatch regions to be the same size. In our application (we make foam inserts for cases) we use one hatch size for medium density foam and another hatch size for soft foam in our old CAD system.

We have never been able to reproduce this in Onshape drawings which is very annoying. Adding the ability for the size to be absolute would at least give us a work around.
  • Options
    FYI, I created an improvement request on the topic here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/21361/introduce-absolute-scale-for-hatching