Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how would you remove the circle parts from the plate?

johannes_bichlmayrjohannes_bichlmayr Member Posts: 8

Best Answer

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓

Here’s one more of numerous ways to do it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d34a9bfae80d76f095a627b5/w/70d075a257e3f029430dc746/e/4a03404d25009b6b0e095c52

It’s more involved. Maybe way overkill for what you want. But it allows you to adjust things easily, in that all that needs to be adjusted is the numeric value of one of the first three variables in the feature list

In fact, the way this is set up, there’s no need to alter things within the sketches themselves. Just make any adjustments from within one of the three variables at the top of the list

For starters, I wouldn’t change the numeric values for #width & #clear by much as things can fall apart. So to start with, only alter them by 100th of an inch or so

Look at the two different part studios. And observe the values for the variables at the very top of the list

#plate — Gives the width of the blank prior to punching any holes in it

#width — Gives C to C distance between circular slots (edited)

#clear — Gives the distance from the outermost slots to the edge of the plate

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    Hello Johannes. Don't include them to begin with. Having made a sketch  with completely enclosed entities, select the area that is black in your image and extrude it. - Scotty
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓

Here’s one more of numerous ways to do it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d34a9bfae80d76f095a627b5/w/70d075a257e3f029430dc746/e/4a03404d25009b6b0e095c52

It’s more involved. Maybe way overkill for what you want. But it allows you to adjust things easily, in that all that needs to be adjusted is the numeric value of one of the first three variables in the feature list

In fact, the way this is set up, there’s no need to alter things within the sketches themselves. Just make any adjustments from within one of the three variables at the top of the list

For starters, I wouldn’t change the numeric values for #width & #clear by much as things can fall apart. So to start with, only alter them by 100th of an inch or so

Look at the two different part studios. And observe the values for the variables at the very top of the list

#plate — Gives the width of the blank prior to punching any holes in it

#width — Gives C to C distance between circular slots (edited)

#clear — Gives the distance from the outermost slots to the edge of the plate

• Options
    Hello Johannes. Don't include them to begin with. Having made a sketch  with completely enclosed entities, select the area that is black in your image and extrude it. - Scotty
    Hi scotty,
    not quite. i create a sheet metal model of this part and i created a black plate and now i want to remove the round parts. but I don't know how to create these shapes to remove them?
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 711 PRO
    @johannes_bichlmayr Did you figure this out? I read all of your responses and don't understand what you are trying to do. Did you buy the fan guard off-the-shelf, and you are trying to make matching airflow holes in the part behind it? (That part looks like wood in your picture?) Can you link your CAD here?
  • Options
    @johannes_bichlmayr Did you figure this out? I read all of your responses and don't understand what you are trying to do. Did you buy the fan guard off-the-shelf, and you are trying to make matching airflow holes in the part behind it? (That part looks like wood in your picture?) Can you link your CAD here?
    Thanks, the problem has already been solved. @steve_shubin linked a CAD here. Basically tried to draw the fan.