Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create text which fits entirely within its box?

jezmckjezmck Member Posts: 8
I thought this was going to be easy.  :(

I was hoping to create a model where I can personalise a name plate just by changing the text after it's all designed.

Answers

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 674 PRO
    You can use constraints on the text rectangle and  text vertical centerline, so they are linked to the name plate shape. 

Do you want the text size to dictate name plate shape? Or do you want the name plate to dictate the text size shape?
  • Options
    imants_smidchensimants_smidchens Member Posts: 62 EDU
    the calculate bounds custom feature might come in handy here - you can get the exact dimensions of a bounding box around the geometry and work based on that. 

Also, here's a configurable magnet document I made to use as a reference - sounds like this could be a similar project in some ways!

• Options
    jezmckjezmck Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, @nick_papageorge073 and @imants_smidchens.

In this case, I'd like the nameplate to dictate the text size.

The configurable magnet doc looks great - I think there's a lot I can learn from it!
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    I would probably use a "scale" feature using a measured variable to get the initial text length and calculate the scale factor.