Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I make a 45deg chamfer to a half cylinder

I want to clean-cut half of the cylinder edge by 45 deg. Somethig like this (see the picture). How to do it in the onshape?

KR, Alex

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,549 PRO
    The two easiest options would probably be using a 
    Cut extrude (with a triangular sketch) or you could do a split face (with a sketch or just a mate connector) + moveface/rotate
  • Options
    alexander_tsybulskyalexander_tsybulsky Member Posts: 6
    Do you mean drawing triangle on a plane, opposite to the part? (it is an option but looks a bit brittle ...)

And could you give some hint to a youtube or tutorial about option2? I'm quite new to the onshape (in fact I'm designing my 2nd part, before I had some minimal experience with freecad, so I'm not on level zero but ... almost there :)

• Options
    Answer ✓
    If your sketch plane for the triangle references the cylinder (using a mate connector on the cylinder would be a good way to ensure this if you cylinder isn't centered on one of the main planes) it should be fairly robust.

Here's a quick example of the split/move workflow (I used "realign" for the split mate connector but you could also rotate it 90deg along X if you cylinder is in a weird orientation)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/628b8f6747374a48405d71c9/w/0f86188b7e24900cac81e96d/e/839963c7d197fc6e3c1166b8?renderMode=0&uiState=64b19bae695d1875b4ad91fb

• Options
    BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 44 PRO
    @eric_pesty you could do this with a single split feature. Split the part, selecting the top mate connector. Edit the mate connector > Move > rotate around X by 45°. Then deselect keep both sides, and you have a chamfered cylinder. I'd still choose the sketch + extrude method for the most robust solution, but this eliminates one feature. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7afb15aa2c0fd9661f64efb1/w/46157cb2ae2d51eff49252f0/e/f2ebd53c29336bca169bdb2a
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • Options
    @BenTaylor
    True, you can use the split directly, not sure why I didn't show it like this...
    Also when I know I am going to do something like this, I try to add line segment in a previous sketch if possible to make the mate connector selection quicker (i.e. without needing to rotate/re-align).
  • Options

@eric_pesty Thanks, that was what I need!

@BenTaylor Could you please detail on the last step of your approach? I managed to have this (below) but it does not cut the shape.

• Options
    BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 44 PRO
    You're almost there - at the top of the Split dialog window, it shows you're splitting the face. You want to select Part and choose the cylinder to split.
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • Options
    @BenTaylor: Thanks ! 👍