Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fuse two parts from different documents together

hugo_nilsson817hugo_nilsson817 Member Posts: 3 EDU
So I am creating a car basically and I created the front spindle first and the parts that holds the spindle (the one that allows you to steer (I dont know it in english)) i dont however want the rear spindle to be able to turn obviously but since i already created both parts it would be great if I could simply import both parts into a new document (like an assembly but that allows me to keep working on it after), clean it up and then done. Is this possible?

Comments

• Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 247 EDU
    You can use the derived feature to import a part from one part studio into another.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 775 PRO
    You could also do both the front and rear axle (English term) in the same part studio. If you want to do that, just transform copy the front axle a set distance so it's in the position you want the rear axle. From there, you can add features to both the front and rear axle separately.

Then you can draw the car body on top of the axles, since they will both be in the same part studio.

This method will work well if you you are not putting many details. If you are putting thousands of details like a real car, this would be too much for one part studio, and it would be better to split them into separate part studios.